Words From the Wise

Hello fellow Audiophiles and Audio Enthousiast. I've been in the game for a little over 4 months now and I've learned tonnes of stuff along the way thanks to some very knowledgeable people on this website and in my local community (but mostly on this website).

I'll get right to the point.

Whether you are new to the game or a veteran I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the top 5 things you would tell a fellow Audiophile to better his/her enjoyment of this wonderful hobby. Please use point form or short paragraphs
buckingham
Don't stray from what sounds right to you. Keep an open mind. Pay attention mostly to room acoustics and power line products, ie.. cords , conditioners. Also, especially for TT listeners, don't skimp on isolation. If you do, it will be on your own peril.

I've heard multi-thousand dollar systems in their dealer provided environment, however, I've preferred my system most of the time in my "tiny" room. Never, never disregard the "power" of a properly designed power cord and what it can "do" for your system!!!
Five things
1) Use a high power amp
2) Cross a sub over at 80-turn it down
3) Spike speakers
4) soft pucks under electronic equipment. Not spikes or wood blocks
5) cd does reveal more sound than records
Don't believe anyone who says you cannot get ever closer to realism in reproducing musical performances.

Don't forget to have fun and to enjoy the music.

Don't believe anyone who says all amps, all power cords, etc. sound the same. There are always very smart people out there who go beyond the conventional wisdom about how to build things.

Never conclude that your system is as good as it can be. Be satisfied and enjoy, but you are never "there."

Never be satisfied that you have your system best placed in your room.

Find others who share what you find to be good sound. They may be in your area, reviewers, or internet friends. They greatly broaden your horizons. When I first started in this hobby Stereophile and later The Absolute Sound were valued inputs in addition to two local dealers and one other local audiophile. All of this is gone now.

Don't be too concerned that few, if any, of your friends are audiophiles. I have been involved with many hobbies that have fewer adherents, such a catamaran racing and auto racing. Go to local audio shows and make friends there.

Have fun.