Words From the Wise

Hello fellow Audiophiles and Audio Enthousiast. I've been in the game for a little over 4 months now and I've learned tonnes of stuff along the way thanks to some very knowledgeable people on this website and in my local community (but mostly on this website).

I'll get right to the point.

Whether you are new to the game or a veteran I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the top 5 things you would tell a fellow Audiophile to better his/her enjoyment of this wonderful hobby. Please use point form or short paragraphs
buckingham
Home theater;1)Big screen 2)Big subs 3)Dedicated room 4)Room acoustics 5)Understanding spouse!
1. Listen to the MUSIC, not the "system."
2. Get good sources and fine wires to connect them to amps and preamps.
3. More money isn't always the answer. Maybe you just need a bigger throw rug on a hardwood floor or a tapestry on a bare wall.
4. Power line regenerator/conditioner (the best investment I have made).
5. Listen to the MUSIC, not the "system." Yes, I repeat myself because I have been guilty of concentrating more on buying, acquiring, collecting, consuming, and hording stuff, making me forget the whole point: It's the music. Derive your joy from the perfect sax solo, not the perfect power cord. I'm an "audiophile" because I love music, not because I love equipment.
1. Clean Power - Line conditioner (ExactPower etc..)
2. Best Speakers paired with an amp with enough power to fit your budget
3. Good Source - CDP, Turntable, DVD
4. A nice tubed 2ch pre with HT bypass for your SSP
5. For HT a nice HDTV Video display, for Music a wealth of media to listen to.

**I do believe that cables make a difference but you need to settle on the equipment first as the cable saga can be long and painful if you spend to much time on cables before you have the front end equipment you want.
Even though I don't live by it, I believe a stereo should be built from the beginning to the end or stylus to speaker in the order of their function. I consider their importance in this same order but with very little diminish as to importance. All the components are important to build a good sounding system. And you have to do this within your means.

So, I consider the most important part the source, whether CD, vinyl or whatever. Good recordings sound better than bad ones and you have to listen to know. Some artists are known for producing better recordings.

Next, get the best CD player or Turntable that you can afford. If buying a turntable, buy the best cartridge that you can afford for it. This makes a world of difference. You can check reviews to see what people say about what you are interested in.

Next is your preamp, tube or ss? Make your own mind up, listen to both. There are excellent preamps made both ways. If you are using a turntable, you may want to use a phono preamp and will most likely need one if you chose a MC cartridge. Specs are helpful but not everything, I like the lowest distortion rating that I can find. Some preamps have amazing sound in spite of poor distortion specs especially with tubes but listen and decide for yourself.

The Amp should be very distortion free also and I like lots of power so I like Mono blocks or two stereo amps bridged mono. Two amps just make stereo better. I prefer to have as much power as my speakers can handle and I go for the lowest distortion specs. As with the preamp, there are some great sounding power amps with poor distortion specs. Just another that you have to let your ears decide.

Lastly the speakers, although very important, if you have followed all the previous steps, you will be able to make most speakers sound the best that they can and better than most people would think. Many consider the speaker to be the most important component but I do not. I'm not saying you can buy junk and be happy but I still consider it the least important of the main components.

I have omitted the cables and speaker wire as I consider it to be less important than all of the other components. After all, it is just wire. I can sense alot of toes curling here. Don't buy junk interconnects or junk speaker wire (K Mart or Radio Shack probably won't have any good wire) but don't make it the most expensive component in your system either. The good stuff will make a difference and in some cases, a dramatic one but none will make a bigger difference than the wrong amp, preamp or any other major component.

I also never mentioned a receiver or integrated amp. There might be some good ones but you cannot beat separates, I don't care what anybody says.

Take your time, enjoy what you buy or get rid of it. A good stereo will bring many years of enjoyment, a bad one will be ignored.
Bill P
A list for the teachers (me), social workers, those with children, or others who cannot spend thousands of dollars over and over again. . .

1. Buy for the long-term unless the thrill of this hobby for you is keeping up with the technology, the novelty of new equipment, or something else less music-oriented and more sound-oriented, if that distinction makes sense.

2. Along these lines, buy stuff you love, especially if you want to enjoy it for several years to come. Compromises have a way of sticking in one's head and interfering with the ability to enjoy the music. If you love music, it's worth it to own better equipment.

3. Buy used/demo. After years of thinking I could simply not justify the expense of high end equipment, I discovered this site. For literally half the price of retail I set up my first high quality system and as far as I'm concerned it's magnificent. I've had nothing but great experiences with the people here, both dealers and individuals.

4. If you're building a system, set a goal. Take a break from the upgrade cycle when you've reached that goal and just listen to what you've got. You'll know after six months to a year whether you really must upgrade a particular component or whether you were just emotionally caught up in the last round of purchasing and are actually perfectly content with what you have.

5. If you didn't cash it out to afford your new purchases, keep your old system around and listen to it periodically. It will remind you of the marked improvements in your current set-up. This may help you remember what you love about it if you've gotten complacent, spoiled or re-bitten by the upgrade bug.

Enjoy wonderful music and remember the other things that matter in your life as well.

Sean