Law of Diminishing Returns; where does it kick in?

I think that most of us who have been in this hobby for a while have experienced the "law of diminishing returns", the point at which spending a lot more money produces a little bit better sound or just tradeoffs.

I would like your opinions on where you believe this occurs in Speakers, Amps, CD players, and cabling.
ultrakaz
Many have rightly pointed out that diminishing returns can occur for different people at different levels of time or money. It also appears that, short of $250,000 retail, incremental sound quality improvements do continue. For me, returns on investments drop dramatically at the price point where my wife and friends think I've gone crazy! Fatparrot's doubling hypothesis works for me. At $10,000, things were good and I couldn't justify more -- I was happy. After a while, my wife began to accept my illness and I got more sophisticated (sicker?) and was able to move to $20,000. Now my wife knows I'm nuts and I'll have to wait a long time to get to $40,000. Of course, I can't justify that to myself right now. Maybe I should spend a few thou on some tweaks though ...
Whatever point of diminishing returns you establish now, it will always move up as you invest more time in audio.

If an audiophile can perceive a difference, he suddenly cannot live without it!

How many times do you think you've finally got *it*, only to feel the need to upgrade after some time?
you guys are way up the diminishing returns ladder

diminishing means - alot more dough a lot less refinement

admit you are willing to pay a lot more for little incremental sonic gain

even lower prices you must pick tonally accurate gear that synergizes well or buy bad schlock

prices (new/used) I buy well kept used pieces (see my system on right side)

cd tranpsort 2000/1200 teac(wadia) vs-10 $450
dac 1500/1000 EVS Millenium II $1050 new
solid state amp 3500/1400 Audio Research D200 $1400
preamp 4000/2500 Audio Research LS5 mkII $2000
speakers 5000/2500 Von Schweikert Vortex $1400 pr
interconnect 1200/600 Cardas Gold Cross $300pr
speaker wire 1400/800 Harmonic Tech Pro 11 shotgun

will upgrade speakers and interconnects
but I live on the low end of the diminishing returns curve

tube amps - big bucks and expensive tube upgrades
so I stay away

tom

In the real world it is the point you can't afford or are unwilling to pay for a subjectively minimal improvement. Of course this will vary from one individual to the next as noted. Hanging around this site ensures acceleration of this progressive disease. If someone could please save us the time and let us know if they have discovered "real" yet, I would be much obliged.
tibegroover

hangig around this site raises your threshold - you tweak more, but it also is informative of great equipment and the web available used market