Shipping from US to Canada

Hi everyone,

I've never bought anything over the net before, but would like to know how the US-CAN shipping works. Let's say I buy a headphone amp for 200 USD used ... will they charge me tax on this (even though it's used)? If I ship with UPS, which is the cheapest, can I tell the seller to fix the value at say, 50 USD (and hence, pay less tax), but still have UPS insure it for 200 USD? I figure this is not too outrageous since the purchase could be something with zero market value, but worth a lot for the individual.

Thank You.
monkeyking
I'm in Canada and have purchased a number of power cords from US sellers. Have them send it to you via U.S. postal service (will cost about $5 or $6 surface and will probably reach you just as fast as air which is more expensive) and tell them to declare a value of about $8 and you won't have to pay anything. Forget about the insurance; pretty hard to damage a powercord!
Hi,

Would you have any information if UPS would charge a brokerage fee for shipping from US to Canada for a Canadian made item. You only mentioned that they wouldn't charge brokerage fees for a US made item.

Thanks
Jason
Jason - it does not matter where the product is manufactured. A cross border transaction using UPS brings about their requirement for brokerage paperwork and the subsequent cost.
Does anyone have any experiences with the USPS website? I got a quote for a 7 pound item (keyboard box size) delivered to Canada for 19 USD by air parcel (< 1 week). That same item can be delivered by ground (4-6 weeks) for 17 USD?! Are there something wrong here?

Thanks.

From my personal experience you can try sflworldwide because cost wise is low. You can make a quote from them and compare the prices with other shipping company.  Always sflworldwide is cheap and best service