Ken Burns' JAZZ starts Monday on PBS!

A reminder that Ken Burns' 10 part series begins Monday in most all of the USA. Burns' past documentaries have been "The Civil War" and "Baseball." They were very, very good. Enjoy! Charlie
danvetc
'Trane - While I share your love of Jazz, I disagree with the statement that Jazz spawned rock. Rock's direct originators (imho, of course) are R&B and Country (and ultimately blues). Jazz influenced early rock, but I don't think you can call it a progenitor anymore than you can call American Folk a progenitor. As far as 1-4-5 being 'proof' of rock's origins, any study of western music will reveal that this progression is MUCH older than Jelly Roll Or Louis. Anyway, just my thoughts.
"The Blues had a baby and they called it Rock and Roll" -Muddy Waters. Add a little ragtime and Appalachin folk music and you get Rockabilly and R&B. The Jazz connection is forced. "I got no kick against modern Jazz unless they try to play it to darned fast, and lose the beauty of the melody, till it sounds just like a symphony" -Chuck Berry
Watched the last episode. Hardly anything mentioned of the artists in the last 15 years. The show revealed the jazz progression to that point. Seems to me Marsalis wants jazz to degress. Were the Brecker Bros. ever mentioned?
Marsalis has a long standing reputation as a traditionalist. I find his music to be inspiring, but his views to be stuffy. On the other hand, we're all entitled to our opinions. BTW, I was fairly sure that Burns covering of contemporary jazz would be a little week because of his reliance on Marsalis as a source (that is *definitely* not to say that I thought he did a bad job or that the series wasn't worthwhile). [email protected]