Best female vocals on CD

Want recommendations for Female recordings on CD. Thanks Joe
jwstannese647
Hi Gunbei - I received the CDs yesterday. One thing for sure, the sound quality is great in all of them. But for my more big city, upbeat and funky taste, they all seemed too much of an aquired taste, too moody.

"Songbird" Eva Cassidy - nice but won't get a lot of play.

"Modern Cool" Patricia Barber - the best among these, funky and the recording quality is better (20 bit) than the rest.

"Famous Blue Raincoat [IMPORT] Jennifer Warnes - Paid the most ($19) liked the least. I can do rock/country at someone else's place, not mine - this is both or I think this is the one.

"Belly of the Sun" Cassandra Wilson. Great voice, I'll probably listen to it every now and then.

Stuff I bought based on recommendation here, I liked Dianna Krall's "Look of Love" the best.

I'll go through the "Classical" recommendations next.
200+ Responses to this thread and no mention of Linda Eder. NOT her latest(Gold), although it is still good, but the two before this one: "It's Time" and "It's No Secret Anymore" She has a voice like no one else. Her vocals are backed by an energetic orchestra. Very few recordings this much fun.
Jewel, I can understand your reaction to Diana's previous material. While the reviews of Look of Love have been extremely varied, I think we have a tendency to like or be more attached to our first exposure to something special. Look into Jacintha's three releases as well. Have fun.

There's been a lot of buzz lately surrounding Norah Jones' CD, I own it myself and think it's well recorded and very good overall. But are there any other people out there besides me that think she kinda has a odd quirky voice?
Ooops. I think I may have misinterpreted your post. Your lukewarm reception was in reference to your new Barber, Wilson, etc. CDs right? Have a listen online at Amazon.com to Diana Krall's older stuff and you'll see what I mean..