Best female vocals on CD

Want recommendations for Female recordings on CD. Thanks Joe
jwstannese647
Stereokarter, while I agree that the distinction between technical prowess and the quality of the music being sung is an important one, this thread is about RECOMMENDATIONS of great (best) female vocals on CD. To me, it's pointless to recommend a recording by someone with great "chops" if I can't stand listening to it; wether it be because the music sucks or as in this case, because the singing lacks any semblence of soul. I can't claim to, nor want to, be able to explain why Celine's singing leaves me cold at best and at worst annoyed. It just does. That is why I can't recommend her records. Barbara Streisand sings similar material and is IMO much more fun to listen to; she is also every bit if not more the accomplished technician. While I admire your willingness to defend someone being criticized, I am a bit perplexed by your taste for Nina Simone. She is in my book, a very different kind of singer from Celine; very soulful if not as good a technician. I'd rather listen to her anytime. Cheers.
Best (favorite) fvocd: JAZZ : Shirley Horne With Strings "Here's To Life". Amazing CD. Talk about creating a mood. Incredibly romantic and soulfull singing beginning to end. The CD is best listened to in it's entirety; each track better than the previous. Very tasty piano playing by Ms. Horne also. Runnerup: Sarah Vaughn "Live From Japan" CLASSICAL: Kathleen Battle "Schubert Lieder" w/James Levine. The great Karl Leister on clarinet a bonus. Glorious singing. Runner up: Victoria de Los Angeles "Songs of Spain".POP: Janis Joplin "Big Brother and The Holding Company". Scary. Runner up: Joni Mitchell "Court and Spark" Cheers.
Just listened to Ferrell's Individuality. Nice voice but totally heartless. Same ballpark as Celine. Has Ferrell done any older stuff. Maybe that style isn't complimentary
Sdcampbell (thread entry #3) said it all! No Celine FAN here, Frogman, but my track pick still stands. Add to my faves: Susannah McCorkell, Eddi Reader (Fairground Attraction), Tanita Tikaram (German singer in English), and Miriam Makeba. So there!