An observation about "Modern" classical music.

As I sat in my car, waiting for my wife as usual, I listened to a local classical music station which happened to be playing some "modern" music. I don't like it, being an old fart who likes Mozart and his ilk. But, as I had nothing else to do, I tried to appreciate what I heard. No luck, but I did notice something I have experienced before but never thought about. At the end, there was a dead silence of 3 to 5 seconds before audience applause. This never happens with, for example, Mozart where the final notes never get a chance to decay before the applause and Bravos. Obviously (IMHO) the music was so hard to "follow" that the audience were not sure it was over until nothing happened for a while.

I know that some guys like this music, but haven't you noticed this dead time? How do you explain it?
eldartford
lol eldartford - how can I argue with that. The more he lost his hearing the more atonal his music became. Go figure.

I have to say that I just finished listening to Arvo Part - Fratres for violin and piano and it is a very moving peice of music - not objectionable sounding at all.
Robm321

Also listen to Speigal im Speigal. One of the best versions is on Part's Alina CD. You might also consider Vasks "Distant Light", also very moving.

John
John,

I have listened to Speigal and agree with you. I think I like the minimalist movements the best. Thanks for the Vasks recommendation. I'll check it out.

I have to say though that I was unimpressed with Crumb - he might do well in a Hollywood sound effects studio, but I don't consider that music. Or course I've heard only one song of his (hummingbird or something).

Rob
A funny thing happened yesterday. A radio station that I often listen to was playing some of "that" music. I was in my car, and parked it to go into a store. When I came back the radio program really grabbed my attention. It was just an awful noise, sounding much like a CD that is skipping, combined with a radio being quickly tuned from one station to another. "AH", I thought..."This is really over the top. I will stay tuned, and find out what the name of this piece is so I can tell you guys about it".

After about a minute an announcer came on and apologized for the network technical problems. For what? It sounded like new music. You could have fooled me.

True story.
Says a lot more about you as a listener than about "'that' music", as you so degradingly call it...