Perfect Soundtrack for Stylish Sunday Lunch?

As much as I love a wide variety of music, I seem to have great difficulty matching music while entertaining guests.

This weekend, I am hosting a lunch for a few couples, some of whom are visiting from overseas, and I really need to make a good impression.

Perhaps it is because I am more interested in sitting down and really focusing on music than having it in the background, I find this so difficult.

Things that immediately come to mind are usually pretentious, overplayed, distracting and/or just plain wrong -- ie if I showed up at lunch and heard ein klein nachtmusik, the Four Seasons, or Diana Krall, it might put me off my food.

Then again, I dont want some cutting edge, underground, just pirated in from a night club in Paris kind of vibe unless I am intoxicated or non monogamous.

Now I have NEVER tired of late night dinners at Cafe Luxembourg listening to Kind of Blue, but since my house is not off Amsterdam Avenue at 2AM, they might not quite fit either?!

So any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

1:00 PM, in the country, rack of lamb, Bloody Marys, and ______ on the stereo.

Thank you very much.

PS

And maybe an iTunes compilation run through the computer would simplify things as well?
cwlondon
Telemann's Tafelmusik. Written to be heard while dining. That's true of a lot of baroque and classical music (e.g wind serenades).

Also Modern Jazz Quartet - I've been recommending that to people in my law office as music to work by, and the response has been positive. I find it is music that fits comfortably in the background, but can engage me instantly if I decide to concentrate on it for a minute or two. Bill Evans as well, but several people have already mentioned him.
John

Thanks -- and thanks to everyone for a great thread.

In the end, 2 of the couples brought toddlers and babies, so it might have been hard to hear a marching band in the middle of the house.

Then, in the mad rush to clean up, I misplaced the 3 or 4 CDs I had put aside following these suggestions.

In the end, it was a sunny day and everyone seemed in a pretty good mood, and I somehow ended up putting on Brother Jack McDuff for an upbeat, slightly retro quirky and no lyrics vibe, although very softly in the background.

So I am not even sure anyone noticed, but please do continue suggestions for future lunches and dinners!
Maybe no-one noticing is a good thing, that means you didnt over power the conversation, and it was pleasent enough for nobody to comment on not likeing it wich would be the worst thing to happen