Yes remasters/ HDCD

A number of times on here people have asked about the best sound quality of various Yes albums available on CD.

I have previously reviewed the complete Rhino remasters set on Lugs http://lugsmusicreviews.com.

Last week I at last tracked down a copy of a Japanese import HDCD version of Close To The Edge.
I have to say I was very impressed by the sound quality,it is louder and clearer than the Rhino version-of course I can't state if this is true for every release but I have to say the HDCD versions (remastered by a Japanese gent whose name I don't have at hand) seem the way to go.
These versions unlike the Rhino ones only contain the original track listing.
ben_campbell
Thanks Ben- Good to chat with you again.It's been a while.And thanks again for the Floyd info.

I guess if it just sounds good,who cares if its CD,HDCD,SACD,DVD-A,vinyl (first love) or singing in the shower!
Yesssongs...best rock live guitar in history...Yours is No disgrace and Perpetual Change/end of Starship Trooper in my opinion have the most awesomely complete guitar solo's ever...Howe simply connglomerated rock, Chet Atkins, Wes Montgomery and others...all while he followed the logic and smelodic structure/rythm of the songs...he never goes off into LA-LA guitar solo land...
Jsugo:
I am right on board with what you say about Yessongs. Steve Howe was tremendous. I have always thought he was the greatest rock guitarist ever. I've always said that this groups's version of Yes is the only true Yes and they were all masters of their insturments. And, Jon Anderson was a master of rock vocals in his truly unique way. But your're right, Yours is No Digrace, the end ofStarship Trooper and Perpetual Change in my mind were the greatest rock guitar work of all time. What gets me is that I've never really heard that point of view expressed by anyone else. I have always been in awe of all the work on that album. I started out as a soul ryhthm and blues fan, then came rock and I am now a jazz fan. But I'm always loyal to Yes. I occasionally pull out my remastered Yessongs. Unfortunately, as great as they were, they were never again to record work that equaled what they did on Yessongs. Very good work was recorded, but greatness in my mind was only acheived by them on Yessongs. For me as a new audiophile still building a system, I want to get to the point where I can put on Yessongs and have the sound be so awesome that I am transported back to 1972 and the arenas where they performed the music. If there are better formats out there other than the remastered disc I have then I am going to get them. I've got a Simaudio Nova on the way too! Yessongs is not particularly strong in the low end and that's something I've always wanted to hear.
Foster,,I started with Rock, then classical and then Jazz guitar.

The first rock LP I ever owned was Relayer, which overall I think has the most innovative guitar work and sound. The solo in To Be Over is just tremendous,,and the contrapunctual work would male Bach proud.

I always shy'd away from Jazz because in the 70's the jazz axmen were pretty predictable and very scale oriented...For example, just now from the 90's on, I am enjoying tremendously Al Dimeola's and John Mclaughlin's work, as they are showing tremendous breadth of musical styles. I couldnt stand them in the 70/80's.

You might give Turbulence and Quantum Guitars (Steve Howe's solo CD's a listen).

Also, ABSOLUTELY no one overdubbs as well as Howe in the studio,,The guy is just amazing how he lets the music talk and not the chops.
Foster 9, I sense a bit of past tense in your post and I am hoping it relates only to the Yessongs LP! Ha! :-)

Anderson, Howe, Squires, Wakeman, and White have been touring together as YES for the last couple of years and I have been lucky enough to see five of these concerts. At four of the five, they were every bit as good, or better, than they were back in the day. At the fifth, Anderson was not in particularly good voice due to a cold. These guys are still tight, still expertly skilled, and still flat out awesome - if you liked them in the first place, that is. So, if one might hesitate to plunk down the dough for what might be perceived as yet another aging rock band unsuccessfully trying to hang on to old glory - think again! :-)