Anyone still do insightful or intelligent lyrics?

I have always loved lyrics as much as music and think that music I enjoy must be a combination of both good lyrics and good musicianship. I love some of Paul Simon's lyrics from as far back as the '60's. He was only 16 when he wrote "Sounds of Silence." There are dozens of other examples from Simon and Garfunkel.

Lyle Lovett has written some great lyrics i.e. "Simlpe Song."

Bob Seger, Jackson Browne, Hoyt Axton, John and Paul, Mick and Richard, Emmylou Harris, Gordon Lightfoot, and even Midge Ure have written things that impressed me, but I find very few people writing great lyrics anymore!

Is anyone writing intelligent, insightful lyrics anymore?
128x128nrchy
You can also read clever lyrics just from the paper or the book, but the presence of a song or let's say "synergy" between lyrics and music can be defined different ways. You can feel the "clever" presence from the song that has minimal or even no lyrics, just use your imagination! Contrary, you can hear spoken word chat under tunes and recognize powerfull lyrics for example William Burroughs sought in Material and Laurie Anderson projects.
Excellent point Marakanetz!! That's one I wish I'd articulated myself. That's one of the things I enjoy about the "Bright Eyes" disc I mentioned.

It also brings to mind a whole different category of "intelligent" use of lyrics: This could be exemplified by the work of Byrne and Eno on My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, and the likes of Gavin Bryars on Jesus Blood's Never Failed me Yet, and others who've combined "found" lyrics and music together....then there's The Rachel's who produced a disc using actual sounds and recorded voice tracks sent to them from all over the world. Great stuff IMO.

Yeah, so Gumby fill us naive folks in on the lyrics you printed?

Marakanetz, you brought one of my favorites to mind:

"You know, I can see two tiny pictures of myself
and there's one in each of your eyes.
And they're doin' everything I do.
Every time I light a cigarette,
they light up theirs.
I take a drink and I look in
and they're drinkin' too.
It's drivin' me crazy. It's drivin' me nuts."

From 'Sharkey's night' Laurie Anderson/William Burroughs

Marco
Have you guys been to www.EnoShop.co.uk? Neat stuff.

Marco,

Those aren't lyrics I posted. Remember when GW Bush was sitting in that classroom of kids and the guy came in and whispered in his ear that a second jet had hit the Twin Towers? Remember the stunned look on his face? What I posted is what was going through his head at the time.
For a modern poet and good musician also, check out Jason Mraz. You will not be disappointed. Young and up and comer.

Good Listening,

Steve
Marco,
You catch my mind with Byrne, Eno. Somehow whenever one speaks of Laurie Anderson, William Burroughs one's always thinking of Byrne, Eno, Fripp, Manzanera...
It seems that this group dictated one of the best and most "clever" janre(s) throughout the whole "song" history.