Who's Your Favorite Bass Players; Why?

I like Paul Chambers for his groove and arco. Sam Jones for his Time. Rufus Reid becaues he taught me. Jaco because of the absolute passion. Christian McBride because he's the MAN righ now--and he's the director of the Brubeck Institute at the University of the Pacific, which is my Alma Mater; Ron Carter because of everything he's recorded; George Maraz because of his soul; Richard Davis because of his intensiity; Reggie Workman due to his authenticity; Lonnie Plaxico because of his work with he Jazz Messengers; Scott LaFaro--BECAUSE HE'S THE BEST! (Eddie Gomez and Chuck Isreal are cool, too!). Who're you 'un?
crazy4blues
I agree...Paul McCartney was a great bassist and a songwriter. If you have a chance listen to "Nowhere Man" and you can see how great he was.
Back when I cared to own television, a few years ago, I happened to scroll to a music award program. Maybe mtv awards... Jack Black (actor) was at the podium. He (introduces) says " Paul McCartney is here". Paul stands, and receives applause, etc. Then Jack says " now I will introduce the best bassist in the world, my father in law, Charlie Hayden"! Jack Black dissed a Beatle! Anyone remember this one?
Pop/Rock- Billy Sheehan is technically the best. In a group John Entwistle was the best. He was a great antithesis for Keith Moon's erratic brilliance.
Acoustic/Jazz- Scott Lafaro and Eddie Gomez, maybe it's my bias to the Bill Evans Trio.
how about a shout out for Spooky Tooth and Humble Pie's Greg Ridley,Fleetwood Mac's John McVie,ex Dylan and Mike Bloomfield alum,Harvey Brooks and Blood Sweat and Tears original first album bassist, Jim Felder. All had really good drummers to work with
*Best line: Slave's Slide; Pleasure's Glide; Azymuth's Dear Limmertz
*Old school but still rule: Louis Johnson
*Was good, but have nothing else to give: Larry Graham, Stanley Clark, Mark King
*Song writers pretend to be bass players: Sting, Paul McCartney
*Worst, should take lesson: Benny Rietveld
*Boring: Dave Holland, Anthony Jackson
*Should change to playing guitar instead of bass: Wayman Tisdale
*Funkiest Tone: Marcus Miller, Jonas Hellborg
*Impressive speed and/or technique but that's all: Brian Bromberg, Victor Wooten
*Extraordinare technique, incredible live: Michael Manring
*Musicality: Richard Bona, Doky Minh, Renaud Garcia Fons
***MY FAVORITE BASS GUITARIST: Alex Malheiros of Azymuth (Brazillian group); CDs that are 20+ years still so sound so emotional today. Never play the same line twice.
***MY FOVORITE GUITARIST: no list, just one guy = Nguyen Le.