Who's Your Favorite Bass Players; Why?

I like Paul Chambers for his groove and arco. Sam Jones for his Time. Rufus Reid becaues he taught me. Jaco because of the absolute passion. Christian McBride because he's the MAN righ now--and he's the director of the Brubeck Institute at the University of the Pacific, which is my Alma Mater; Ron Carter because of everything he's recorded; George Maraz because of his soul; Richard Davis because of his intensiity; Reggie Workman due to his authenticity; Lonnie Plaxico because of his work with he Jazz Messengers; Scott LaFaro--BECAUSE HE'S THE BEST! (Eddie Gomez and Chuck Isreal are cool, too!). Who're you 'un?
crazy4blues
I agree with so many names in this thread, but I'm shocked that Rocco Prestia is only mentioned once. He is one of Jaco's main influences. One of the true innovators of the electric bass.

I love all the love that Chris Squire and Tony Levin get here.
My favorite 3 are Jack Bruce and Jaco for their innovative lines and ability to propel the music forward and Tony Levin for his technique and ability to be incredible no matter what group he was playing with. And this will make a lot of you laugh but I picked up a lot of technique from listening to Lee Dorman of Iron Butterfly (I played bass in NJ area bands in the 60's and 70's) . Too bad he didnt have a better band to play with.
I've started practicing bass and find Chris Squire a great bassist. He supplies solid fundamentals of music and great bass melody. He's one of the best to follow after when learning.