Steely Dan - New release / June 10th

Are there any other huge Steely Dan fans out there anxiously awaiting the new release "Everything Must Go"?

I really liked "Two Against Nature" due to the heavy jazz influence on it and I have heard two tracks from the new album. One entitled "Blue Beach" sounds very good. This should provide a nice soundtrack for the summer of '03.

Comments?
128x128gerryn
The new Steely Dan disc is very slickly played, fully homogenized, thoroughly gutted music without any of the spark, quirk, edge and interest of their best work(Count Down and Scam).Their evolution? has spawned a bunch of completely forgettable tunes.Too bad but they lost me after Aja. Don't get exited you hard core fans and send me any nasty email, just my take. Cheers, Lee
"Royal Scam" is probably still my favorite also. I remember the first time I heard it was on radio the week it was released by a station that played side 1 without commercials and followed with side two uninterrupted following the break. It went to the top of my 'must have' list.

I like "Two Against Nature" and "Everything Must Go" very much, but on a different level. They can never equal the experience of "Scam" for me because they came along at a different time in my life. "Scam" was special from the beginning and is associated with many good times over the years. It's possible "Two" or "Everything" will become similar favorites for fans, new or old, as "Scam" is for me.
The guys made it on their talent and perfectionism, not hype and image like many new acts. I would sooner pay to see Steely Dan live and expect to get my money's worth than most new groups these days.
I guess I'm a bit less critical of them. I'm just so dam glad their still jamm'n--I savor every tune and learn to love every album. I'll have to admit, after my first listen to "Two Against Nature" I was wondering if Donald & Walter had reached the "McCartney wall" of song writing. But after many plays, I couldn't turn if off.

"Everything Must Go" has dispelled any thoughts I had about Dan loosing their edge.

All I can say is: "Donald, Walter, if you’re listening, PLEEEEEAAAAAASE don't stop make'n music!!!!!