Help...Need a New Amp

My 20 yr old Adcom GFA 555 power amp just died. I have been in the process of ugrading my system over the last few years, but have not upgraded my amp. I have B&W N805s bi-wired with Cardas Cross, a Sunfire MK II sub, Bryston BP 25 pre amp, and an older Sony ES CD player. My tastes range the gamut, from classical and opera to rock. The system is used 50-50 between music and video. The question is what amp shall I buy? ...used is fine. Been reading a lot about Bryston, Classe and Krell. Looks like I can get second hand amps from all 3 around my price point of 1200-1500. Is there any amp I should stay away from from these manufacturers?....Is it better to spend more money to get more power (ie 200wpc) or a better amp with less power. I am assuming that in this price range I should notice a huge difference over the Adcom. Can anyone help?
mrrobbiem
bryston, classe, and krell are all excellent, and all have new and used models in or near your pricerange. they all match well with most conventional speaker systems, and are all reliable, and neutral
I had an original Sunfire Stereo amp doubling in my ht and music system for years. I had additional amplification as well but now since they have introduced the multichannel Sunfire's they might be nice to try. Most high end folk I know never gave the Sunfire much credit but it served me well. It has a high enough output impedence to be easily driven by most preamp/processors, and it certainly boasts enough power. I recently sold mine because I switched to tubes, but my stereo version sold within a week, and the multi-channel versions are listed here are in your budget.
You'll certainly not go wrong with a McCormack unit.

It's certainly a buyers market.
Out of five hundred classified listing in solid state amps 64 are marked sold.
13% success rate?

I noted while perusing the solid states amps there was a Aragon 8008 for sale that meets your budget requirements.

Again, as stated earlier, Bryston, Krell and Classe are all quality manufacturers as well.
Bryston 20 year warranty.

There are some integrated units out now that might suit your needs as well.

Amps from the aforementioned mgf.'s to stay away from... can't help you there.
I kind of had the "junior" version of your system to start...Bryston B60 and B&W CDM1nt's...I loved it...gave the Bryston to my Dad and got an Electrocompaniet...some things were better (jazz classical accoustic) some were worse. I do the 2ch HT thing so movies definitely took a dive with the Electro vs the Bryston. When I had the bryston I considered getting a 3bst and Bi-Amping with the B60 powering the highs and the 3bst on the lows...anyhow...what I'm getting at here in my ramblings is that you already have basically the same preamp as the one in my B60 so why not go for the matching Bryston amp to go with it...a 3bst should be adequate powerwise....plus you gotta love the 20 year transferrable warranty.

OTOH...the people that mention McCormack...I have neve heard them myself but they get high high praise from the community as a whole...maybe if you went the all McCormack route as they also have the universal player that you can look into in the future

also...it's not like your system has to match (all one brand)...I just prefer it that way and is the way iam am gonna go next for some reason...but i'm strange

just my 2c

Ellery