Joule vzn 80 or 100 for merlins?

I am most likely going to go for a joule amp to drive my merlins but was wondering if the vzn 80's are going to be enough if I listen to opera at some what loud volumes. What about the stargates and heavengates are they worth considering?
pedrillo
I checked it out - the DeH. now uses a Russian GM-70 output tube which I had never heard of. I think it one that was used in their tanks.
Transcendant has a SE OTL. I believe it's the only one in production. It's very difficult (prior to the Transcendant, I thought it was impossible) to create usable impedance for speakers in this circuit.

The GM-70 rarely gets used in the US (mostly finds use in ex-Soviet block and in Europe). It is similiar to the 845 so it's a simple revision.
Tomryan, my own discussions with Bobby Palkovic definitely wouldn't lead me to believe that he "only really recommends the music box version of the VZN". Has he stated as such? Whether or not the musicwood chassis versions sound better, I don't know - I've never heard one. It probably does, or at least is different. They're definitely good looking and I wouldn't mind having one in my living room. But based on my own experience with the VZN 80, if he has suggested that the musicwood chassis version is "the only one worth having" or something to that effect, then this would be probably the only example I've seen of him giving bad advice regarding his speakers. At least it's advice I don't agree with. These VZN amps may come in a few different flavors, but they all taste good with the Merlins. It's like comparing Ferraris.

At least that's been my experience.

Jim
Another vote here for sufficient power. I have the VZN-80 and a pair of Merlin VSM-Ms in a room about 15 ft by 22 ft. For realistic listening to all kinds of music (including Led Zep) I rarely crank my preamp past the 12'oclock mark. The Joule's are not the last word in power for sure but any sane person would do fine with them for 99.9% of their listening.
Jim,
There is a thread here somewhere in which Bobby recommends someone to get the "music box" version if possible because the standard one sounds a little fuzzy and indistinct by comparison. You'd have to search "Merlin speakers" to get the exact quote, but coincidently enough, Joule Electra just this month in TAS has an ad for the "music box" case and shows it. Interesting and I'd love to try one out someday.