Anyone else feel left out?

'Gons talk a lot about equipment (new or used) that is way beyond the financial means of most people. Thousands of dollars for a Dac? Ten thousand for a pair of mono blocks?
The pros and cons of 15k a pair speakers? Cabling that costs as much as college tuition? How about a system where the cd player is no more than $500, pre and power amp no more than $500 each, speakers no more than $1k a pair and cabling no more than $10 a foot. Jazz and classical music will be enjoyed. This would be a system that would still be superior to most home systems, but would be within the reach of a wider range of music fans. What are your recommendations for a system of new equipment, used equipment or a mix of both?
jw94055
JW,

A used McCormack DNA-0.5...about $550
A used McCormack TLC.......about $400
A pair of used Vandy 3As...about $1300 (2As <$900)
A used Sony DVP-9000ES.....about $500 (Theta Miles $900)

The music..........priceless

Good Luck,

John
--Magnepan 1.6 qr or MG12,used
--one generation old Adcom 200 watt amp,not the last word in finesse but strong as an ox,used
--Morrison ELAD,used
--Scott Nixon dac
--Circuit City loss leader disk player with a digital out
--Marantx ST-17 tuner,used
--Radio Shack turnstile antenna,chimney mount kit,grounding kit,and coax cable
--supplied innerconnects
-16g heater cord for speaker wire.
Never confuse appearance of wealth with net worth. Many who own these high end systems don't have their financial lives in order. High end audio components are like cars, only teh components you have to post pictures to show off. But just because you own it, doesn't mean you can afford it. Audiogon is built (at lease partly) on compairson and envy. It drives (pardon the pun) the industry, like many other consumer products that don't wear out but become "obsolete" due to design changes. At times, I feel EXACTLY like you do, only I typically want to spend about 1k for a piece of equipment, not $500. So, envy can find its place anywhere on the ladder.

The other side is, websites like this draw fanatics, people who spend disproportionately on audio. So, you're going to see valuations on sytems skewed somewhat. All you need to see a dose of "average" is go back on ebay and do a search for stereo speakers. Nah. Too gutter. Thank goodness for sites like this, where passions for a hobby can run free and we can enjoy each others' insanity!

Bide your time and build a good system over time.

I've been in this hobby for over twenty years, as have many others who have systems to drool over. Rare is the man who can drop kilobucks on a system all at one time. 99% of us are not him. That's why places with 1 million surrounding area can oly support about two, at most three good audio stores.

It's taken me forever to get a truly musically satisfying system. But I have other prioreties; annually, stereo consumes about 1% of my household budget.
Put a couple hundred bucks into the system every year, and before you know it, you'll have a terrific setup. The fun is in the journey, as they say...
Look up old "Budget Components of the Year" articles/pages on the web. For instance, in my office I have Rotel's smaller integrated amp along with Magnepan MMG speakers. Both won some "bang for the buck" award a few years ago, and the MMG typically make it onto the short list for fabulous econo-speakers.

I used to mock people with riding lawn mowers. I had about 1/3 acre, and pushed the manual 5hp mower up sizable hill. I had a tad bit of envy of those fat sweats riding over their lawn. Not me! I'd rather die than be like that...until this year, when we had saved enough to buy the acre lot. I ride lawnmower now. I guess if we work at it enough, we can all become fat sweats.

By the way, centainly no blue blooded Agoner can be really satisfied with their system (they lie if they say they are). Or, if they aren't lying, they're deluded, and will wake up in the morning realizing they need a new....something, anything to improve the sound...

My latest unhappiness; switched several years ago to planar spekaers due to their perceived superiorety. Now, I miss the good 'ol box sound. So, I'm doing the indulgent thing and buying a pair of Triangle Zerius 202 speakers (another candidate for your budget system). Wny? No good reason. Just want to have both types of sound available. That, I submit is athentic silliness, which is what will no doubt happen to you in twenty years, so stop while you can and get yourself a Koss radio!
Guess y'ar'nt feeling so left out anymore, eh? I'm actually feeling all warm and fuzzy all over!! Oooohh, yeahhhh!

Marco
I do, especially when I read the U.S. audio mag's like Stereophile where "A" preamps range from a $4,300 SimAudio to a $39,000 Boulder. Okay, I left out the $1,000 Plecette passive. That's not a true pre anyhow, (dodging flames).
I have found plenty of great bargains at audio chat sites where advertising dollars don't dictate what is "good".

What struck me when I started in audio was people arguing about $15,000 Classe vs. Krell amps while here I was looking at a $1,500 integrated. It's like, no matter how much you spend you never find peace of mind. You spend 10DX the money and still don't know if you've got something good or good enough. Shouldn't $15,000 buy you peace of mind? I guess not.