Does it matter what power amp i get?

Hi I am new to home recording. I have a pair of Alesis M1 Passive speakers and need to get an amplifier for them. I am wondering if (aside from the wattage) the type of the amplifier matters at all? I was looking at an alesis ra 150, its 200 dollars, but a friend told me any old amplifier will work, even a 100Watt one from radioshack (which I couldn't find anyway). But are there any recommendations?
driley2b07
driley, everything up the chain from the speakers affect the sound coming out. Amps, like other components, do have different characteristics from one another. Twl hit the nail on the head when he suggested you take care to match the amp to the speakers. Some amps that sound fine with one speaker will not sound so fine with another (e.g., different damping characteristics or input impedences).

Generally, manufactures match amps to their speakers, so if you are looking at the same brand of amp as are your speakers, you should be OK. Try the Alesis -- if you're happy, go for it. I imagine you should be able to get some kind of money back guarantee you can use if you are unhappy. What the heck -- try a side by side comparison with another amp (also with a good return policy) and see which rocks your boat. Good luck.
your alesis speakers are a nice sounding little speaker,i owned them for a while & i liked them too.

stay away from the alesis ra-150,its a decent sounding little amp but it lacks balls,you would be alot better off getting an alesis ra-500 for around $350.00 new.

i owned 2 ra-500's & they are a super nice sounding amp & will match perfectly with your m1's.

are you planning on using a mixer for the preamp?

mike.
I doubt very much that, in the grand scheme of things, it matters one wit which power amp you get.

As far as the level of your wee existence here is concerned, you may simply take a listen to two different amps of different topologies (a solid state amp vs. a tube amp might yield a good demonstration), with all other components remaining the same to hear for yourself what kind of difference it does make. If that difference is significant to you, pursue the question further and do more auditioning and reading and posting here. If not, you will likely be spared of many hours of neurotic A/B/A comparisons, much speculation and useless banter here on the Gon', as well as being separated from a good portion of your savings and or credit limits.

Marco
It does matter but as long as your amp can drive your speakers with ease your pre-amp is more important as it has the larger effect on the over-all sound...one of the reasons why passive pre-amps are so in-favor with audiophiles.

Dave