"High Current"

I listen with my ears, and I dont really often care about the mathmatical conclusions but I have a friend who argued with me that Current cannot increase without wattage increasing as a result. I understand the simple formula is Voltage x Current = Wattage or something to that effect, it's been awhile since I openned a book.

How then can an amplifier from say a company like SimAudio which has a nortriously high current intergrated in the i-5 be only rated at 70 watts per channel?

Is it the differences which the current, voltage and wattage measured that makes the overall impact or can you really have an Ultra High current amp at a very modest Wattage output?
lush
Gregm,

The Krell Class A "Full Power Balanced" cx-series "double-down"
all the way to 2 ohms.

Take the "baby" of that line-the FPB-300cx: 300 wpc at 8 ohms,
600 wpc at 4 ohms, and 1200 wpc at 2 ohms. See:

http://www.krellonline.com/html/m_ClassA_p_FPBs_300cx.html

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist
Morbius: Those are typical factory specs, nothing like what we are discussing here. On top of that, the voltage swing on that specific Krell is pretty low at their rated 138 v peak to peak. My Perreaux PMF-3150, which is also rated at 300 wpc @ 8 ohms, is rated at 180 v peak to peak. I would like to see what the Krell REALLY clips at into various loads. I have NO doubt that it is a sturdy amp, but exactly how sturdy, i don't know.

As a general rule, so long as current levels are reasonably up to snuff, the amp with the highest rail voltages will typically sound the cleanest and least compressed when driven hard. This is why tubes, with their very high plate voltages, can work quite well. This is true even though they are typically quite current limited in comparison to a "big brute" SS amp. The reason? So long as they have "enough" current to deal with the speaker load at hand, they've always got gobs of headroom due to the high rail voltages. Sean
>
The reason current is the issue is that high rail voltages collapse under demand and low impedences. Hi voltage measured with high impedence has nothing to do with an amps performance.
Keis: Your comment makes it look like high rail voltages have the potential to suffer more than a lower rail voltage. That simply is NOT the truth. ALL voltages collapse under demand IF there is a lack of current. The use of a higher impedance load simply reduces the need for as much current, but one could still run into sag IF the circuit was still not "beefy" enough OR the circuits response time was not quick enough. As such, rail voltages have little to do with sagging whereas they have a LOT to do with the dynamic capabilities / headroom of the circuit.

If one needed 1 amp, 10 amps or even 50 amps of current, so long as the circuit could deliver it on a timely basis, there would be minimal voltage sag. The idea behind a "TRUE" high current amp is that it can handle any load at any time due to always having an abundance on reserve. That "any time" part takes into account that the circuit is responsive enough to deliver the needed power as needed, not lagging and therefore sagging under demand.

This is why i said that an amp with high rails, high current, high speed, high stability and wide bandwidth is the ultimate amp. It can deal with any load or signal related condition thrown at it and do so with finesse. Sean
>
Sean,

I really have to disagree with your remarks on the Krell
FPB-300cx. [ Are you sure you are familiar with the "cx"
variant?]

I have access to some pretty sophisticated test equipment -
with pico-second resolution - and the Krell 300cx matches
its factory specs - even with heafty reactive loads.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist