What does "good" sound like?

I'm not sure where this topic should go, but here's the deal....My old roommate had an Adcom 5400 on my Kilpsch kg 3.5's with a Yamaha receiver and player(don't know the model #'s). We went our own ways and I decided to buy another 2 channel amp. I loved the way the Adcom sounded, but that was all I had ever heard. I did a little research and found many people loved to mate Aragon with Klipsch. So I ended up getting a 2004 mkII. It sounds way different, apples and oranges. I had no idea an amp could sound different. The problem is I don't listen to what most people listen to on here. I listen to mostly alternative/hard rock. Plus, it's in a different room with different components and wiring, although my wiring is better. I have a Yamaha htr5250 receiver and I had a Sony dvd player, it crapped out. I used to dac's from the Yamaha anyway because I thought they sounded better. With the Adcom I could really hear the guitars, they really stood out. Now with the Aragon the lead guitars are set really far back and the bass guitar and kick drum are really brought forward. I have to say, I like the Adcom better. The bass was pretty weak but the mid's and hi's were so much better. It seemed much more "alive" as you could hear guitar plucks and finger slides and much more detail. The Aragon is much better through the entire spectrum though, that thing will slam. I had no idea those little Klipsch's would go so low. So what am I missing here? Is it just that the Adcom was strong in the right frequencies and was more suited to the music I listen to? Or could it be the dac's are different? The room is different, but I doubt that's it. I don't think I have the right words to describe what it is I'm trying to say. Like, do I need better mid range or top end? I kind of want to swap out the Aragon for an Adcom 5500, but I love the aragon with movies because it has such great bass. Any suggestions? Thanks.
todd76
TVAD- My sarcasm was not really directed at you, but the hobby. Agreeably a high quality acoustic recording is the way to go to evaluate a system. But A LOT (!) of music is poorly recorded and/or heavily processed. When I listen to THOSE recordings I would prefer not to notice the tone is shrill, the soundstaging is flat etc. It makes the experience irritating rather than enjoyable. So to my ears... "good sound" is enjoyable sound, and a quality system may not always be the best way to reproduce that music.
I know what TSTAN is talking about with the guitars being set back. Higher resolution components, including cables, layer and deepen the soundstage. Typically on rock recordings the guitars are set back and this tends to take the bite out of them. Some times the whole recording is pushed back and you get a presentation that sounds like AM radio.
TVAD-If he buys the music you recomend and it sounds good (as expected)- then what? You proved a good recording sounds better on a better system. What's the next step?

"I don't listen to what most people listen to on here".
It is "apples and oranges".

Ozzie sounds better with the Adcoms, but I can really hear the pick on the strings on "One quiet Night" better with the more expensive amps.

'one should be able to listen to whatever one wants, and it should sound "good"'.
If anyone has a system that provides detail, tonal, and spacial quailities of recordings AND makes the poorer recordings enjoyable, I need to know more.

Just don't make this guy give up his hard rock!

As far as passive preamps- they are highly detailed and dynamically challenged. Great for acousic music. Exactly what this guy doesn't need.

Here's my advice: If you like the Adcom get an Adcom.
Don't put a component in your system again unless you hear it first -with the music you like. Don't buy recordings just to see if your system sounds good. It's the music that should sound good. As far as the bass for movies you can add a powered sub.

If you don't take my advice you will become an AUDIO-GONER.
I think you may already have the bug.
Post removed 
The responses I've gotten were what I was looking for. As far as swithcing music, I won't do it. But....if having a little different variety of cd's around to showcase my system, so be it. You know when a friend comes over, lol? I think in the end I'll sell the Aragon, but not just yet. It's not that I dislike it, it has it's strong points. I also wonder if I'm not making the old Adcom out to be better than was in my head. It's been like 4 years since then. I'll wait unitl I buy the house I'm looking at so I'll know what the final room set up will be, and until I get the new dvd player. That way I'll eliminate most of the variables. Thanks for the help.
This may sound sexist but, its the same as asking someone what they consider to be a good looking woman. Many guys go nuts over Julia Roberts but, I wouldn't give her a second look. My taste is more cheeky with strong thick thighs and buns. Some people like bright highs and a forward sound and some like laid back and warm. Just like saying "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder". You have to find your own reference sound....
good sounds like what the adcom set up did for you, in this case. But it doesnt hurt to set this in contrast to another sound, as it seems it has you thinking about what the differences really mean to you. Mentioning the dac in the yamaha and comparing it to the sony player, the types of rooms you have been listening in, and even high lighting the pros and cons of both the adcom and Aragon amps means you are open minded enough to consider the variables of what sounds good to you.Then, you are having a baby! Let your wife help as she can, eh? I have found they like feeling included, and it certainly isnt for you to take the whole challange of this sort of change on your own shoulders.