Bricasti M1 DAC vs PS Audio Direct Stream DAC

I own a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC that I like a lot but heard my friends system with the Bricasti M1 and I am strongly thinking of changing my DAC and would love your feedback from other members that have heard either or both. I know they are both great but really thinking of changing my Dac from PS Audio Direct Stream to the Bricasti M1 DAC. I use a HP Desk top computer as source with Jplay and JRiver Media 19 and the outstanding Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable. The rest of my system is below. I listen to Classic Rock, jazz, vocal, some modern music and the usual audiophile stuff.

Thanks

My system for reference.

Ascendo C-8 Renaissance Speakers (Germany) Monitor
Purist Audio Design Corvus Praesto Revision 2.5m Bi-Wire Speaker cable
Cardas Clear Interconnect 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Audio Research REFERENCE 1 w/Rhodium IEC/NOS Tubes Tube preamp
Decware ZSTAGE External Triode Output StageTelefunken ECC801S
PS Audio Direct Stream DSD DAC w/ Bridge DA converter
Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable
PS Audio PerfectWave PowerBase Vibration Cancelation/AC Condtioner
Conrad Johnson Premier 12 Mono's 140 Watts Tung-Sol KT120's amps
PS Audio PowerPlant Premier AC Regenerator
BMI Shark Pure Jeweler Grade Platinum AC Power Cable
Sablon Audio Petite Corona 2.0M AC Power Cable
Mad Scientist PC-NEO with Power Purifier AC Power Cable
JPS Labs The Power AC+ 2M AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series SE T1 AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series T1 AC Power Cable
PS Audio Noise Harvester (5) Converts noise to light
OYAIDE RI Beryllium Power Outlets (2)
Hubbell Outlet 5362/5262 Deep Cryo Process
Blue Circle Audio The Yalu Balula Industrial Surge/Spike Protection
JPLAY v5.2 hi-end audio player turns PC into a digital transport.
JRiver Media Center 19 Music Software
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
My collection is basically all digital lossless (flac, wav, tak, ape, blah blah), majority is CD quality instrumentals, vocal, ethnic, and lots of original soundtracks (OSTs on a good DAC is heavenly).

Lately, I've been getting a ton of hi-res recording at 96khz mostly, mora.jp, some 48khz and a little 192khz. I've also tried DSD iso at several gig a piece, eg: Suara DSD on the Directstream, didn't sound good either.

Right now I'm testing the Emotiva XMC-1, this thing sounded so good that I'm not sure if I should keep it and go multichannel again or stick with the Metrum when it get's back...
I found that on the Directstream, I listened mainly to piano/vocal over and over.

Now I realized why, complex music sounded like crap on the Directstream so I ended up avoiding them over time.

I have categorized playlists containing all the songs I liked in the past 10 years give and take a few years, so during DAC comparisons I played the different songs, and it became very obvious that the past 5 months with the DS was a HUGE mistake.
Coli,

With respect... I can see how you or anyone can like something better than something else regardless of what other people think but this is much too good of a DAC and certainly has a universal level competence that is far above your experience with the product.

It is just too well engineered and too robust a product to match the results you have had.

I am inclined to think you had a defective unit with reverse polarity on one of the inputs or outputs or some kind ground issue or something that made it perform much below its well documented abilities???

Even if you had the worst match with cables or other equipment it should at worst still be decent.

It's to bad because to mention any Emotiva digital product as performing better than a Directstream is really telling.

You had to have had a defective unit.

Emotiva has some decent amps with pretty good build quality and especially at their impressive price points.

Myself in that budget I would prefer an old beat up but good working Krell, ARC, CJ, Threashhold or something but some people like the warranty and don't want to deal with CAP replacement so I get it. Their digital is another story. None of it could even come even remotely close to a non-defective / proper working Directstream so I am sure it must have been defective?

Myself , I would tend to think even a defective Direststream if it could spit out any signal I would take that over Emotiva digital! You should have sent that Directstream back to Colorado. It would have been worth it...
I highly doubt that you are alone in your views, Fsmithjack. Something is way, way off with Coli's audition. Hopefully, we can get this thread back on track. -Josh