Bricasti M1 DAC vs PS Audio Direct Stream DAC

I own a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC that I like a lot but heard my friends system with the Bricasti M1 and I am strongly thinking of changing my DAC and would love your feedback from other members that have heard either or both. I know they are both great but really thinking of changing my Dac from PS Audio Direct Stream to the Bricasti M1 DAC. I use a HP Desk top computer as source with Jplay and JRiver Media 19 and the outstanding Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable. The rest of my system is below. I listen to Classic Rock, jazz, vocal, some modern music and the usual audiophile stuff.

Thanks

My system for reference.

Ascendo C-8 Renaissance Speakers (Germany) Monitor
Purist Audio Design Corvus Praesto Revision 2.5m Bi-Wire Speaker cable
Cardas Clear Interconnect 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Audio Research REFERENCE 1 w/Rhodium IEC/NOS Tubes Tube preamp
Decware ZSTAGE External Triode Output StageTelefunken ECC801S
PS Audio Direct Stream DSD DAC w/ Bridge DA converter
Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable
PS Audio PerfectWave PowerBase Vibration Cancelation/AC Condtioner
Conrad Johnson Premier 12 Mono's 140 Watts Tung-Sol KT120's amps
PS Audio PowerPlant Premier AC Regenerator
BMI Shark Pure Jeweler Grade Platinum AC Power Cable
Sablon Audio Petite Corona 2.0M AC Power Cable
Mad Scientist PC-NEO with Power Purifier AC Power Cable
JPS Labs The Power AC+ 2M AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series SE T1 AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series T1 AC Power Cable
PS Audio Noise Harvester (5) Converts noise to light
OYAIDE RI Beryllium Power Outlets (2)
Hubbell Outlet 5362/5262 Deep Cryo Process
Blue Circle Audio The Yalu Balula Industrial Surge/Spike Protection
JPLAY v5.2 hi-end audio player turns PC into a digital transport.
JRiver Media Center 19 Music Software
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
I'm not sure if Mutec got their USB version out yet, I'm using the MC-3+ Smart Clock with AES in to optical out. $700 off ebay I think. I haven't really compared it with anything else since it works 100% for me already :)

There's an interesting option of syncing to a 10M clock, but I don't think I'll try that, too expensive.
Coli- I don't know. Is it really the case that R-2R is the only way? For example, the COS Engineering D1 is a newcomer and compares straight up to the Pavane in the 6moons review. How could that be!?

So we're in a situation where there are some PCM only R-2R, PCM only delta sigma, some DSD only, some DSD only with PCM converted on the fly. There are FPGA chips (both proprietary and off the shelf), various filtering implementations, power supply designs, and unique analog stage approaches. Oh, and then there are the various USB inputs and even a few integrated (or stand-alone) disc spinners. Finally, there are certainly some twists I failed to mention. Whew.

Isn't it more likely that the best overall engineering will rise to the top irrespective of design approach?

Regards, Josh
Hey Ricred1

No I don't regret it at all. I actually appreciate my investment in my Bricasti M1 even more now as it keeps improving as I improve the equipment around it.

Speaking of improving the equipment around my Bricasti M1 I have gone on a system re-fit and improved the transport that I listed above but I also upgraded my Speakers, Amps and Speaker Cables.

For speakers I went with a 103db high efficiency pair that is a unique design the Rethm Saadhana V3 Speakers (2015). It blends a single, full range driver design that connects direct to the amplifier via speaker cable (which I also upgraded) because there is no crossover just a direct connection. This makes them image like nothing I have ever heard and they sound so natural and resolving yet relaxed and can be driven by just a couple high quality, clean watts. This crossoverless single driver has its bass augmented by built in bass modules. These modules are in the bottom of the speakers and are made up of 3x 6.5 inch high efficiency paper drivers and are driven by their own built in 205 Watt FET amps per speakers.

Before these speakers I traded my Ascendo's and a bunch of other gear I had and got a great deal and bought a new pair of Sonus Faber Guarneri Evoltion's. I did not like these that much even though they have great write ups. I traded the Sonus Fabers for these Rethm Saadhana V3 Speakers and I couldn't be any happier. They are MUCH better than the Sonus Faber Guarneri Evoltion IMO.

I also have a 3.5 Watt amp being built right now: a

Triode Labs 2A3S-FFX Custom build with these options:

- Upgraded Hashimoto trannies
- Mundorf Silver in Oil Coupling Caps for 2A3
- Mundorf EVO Oil Coupling Caps for Input Stage
- Mundorf MLytic Power Supply E Cap
- Furutech Rhodium IEC
- Cardas Rhodium RCA
- Cardas Copper Binding Posts 0-4-8-16
- Audio Consulting Silver Input Wires
- NOS Premium tubes

I chose to upgrade my speaker cables also because with no crossover they are the only thing that connects the amp to the voice coil in the speaker. This direct connection seem to make quality speaker cable important. I went with:

HiDiamond D8 3m Speaker cables w/Furutech Rhodium Plated Locking Banana FT-212(R).

Can't wait to get this amp im my system. I wanted to list my recent changes to speak to your question if I regretted my Bricasti purchase and what it has done is make all my other improvements better. What good speakers and good amps need is the best source you can give them. I know there are better than the Bricasti but for the money and with a solid transport it performs at a very high level. Especially now that I am surrounding it with performance comparable equipment.

The duel Femto clocks are built into the Auralic Aries and I think the Aries and your Bryston are both transports and not sure if they could work together. I can say the Tidal streaming that the Aries offers is amazing. Its basically the NETFIX for audiophiles except rather than movies it has hi-res loss-less audio files. Great stuff...
I don't know to be honest, I'm trying to lower the DAC cost myself because I might want to go multichannel again. I definitely am not going to buy 2 $4000 DACs.

I had this song, with PLII and surround speakers, there was this moving sfx mixed in that was amazing! Could never reproduce it with just 2 channel.

I might try some high end processors and see if they are good enough now that the rest of my system are freaking amazing now...
Alright, I've been listening to the DAC2 for awhile now. This thing destroys the Directstream at 1/3rd the price.

For the first time, a hi-res track actually sounded better than the CD version.

I also have a hi-res track that sounded worse than the cd track on the DS, on the DAC2, still sounded worse. Whoever made that needs to be fired.