Musical Amps

This question might sound strange but what characteristics does an amp SS/Tube have to have to be considered "musical". I ask this question form reading the many posts through out the 'gon.

From the posts that I've read most members think very highly of Plinius Amps/Intergrated Amps. Now I know this sounds childish but why. Some don't consider Bryston amps to be very musical and yet PMC is parterned with them again why.

My current system is very simple:
Paradigm Studio 60
JoLIda 100 level-2 mod
Nad T762.

Many Thanks

freakygreek
usually 'musical' is a buzzword for inaccurate or it has no bass. this is however not ness a bad thing if you enjoy it.
Every component needs the right matching partner. Some amps sound better w/certain spks. than others. That's why is so important to have tons of equipment lying everywhere around the house! The main characteristic a system needs is the ablity to make your toes tap and tells your brain "now that sounds right." Musical vs. Analytical. A musical amp is like a co-worker which has a good sense of humor and makes the time go by quickly. The latter is like a humorless/serious co-worker, which gets the job done but a complete bore to be around. I prefer products which have soul and convey the spirit/emotion of the music.
I've never thought of a single component being musical -- as Kotta suggests, it's all in the synergy. The source systems have to have the right timing for anything right to happen later. The speakers have to reproduce seamlessly, as if the cross-overs weren't there. In between, the details and power need to be there so that, at the end, it feels as close as possible to someone sitting in the room singing to you. My view is that the amp's main job is not to color anything but to simply provide solid amplification. If the rest is right, musicality will follow (by the way, there's a terrific old thread on musicality you might want to peruse -- it had quite a few responses to it).