Favorite H H Scott Tube Integrated Amplifier

I just purchased an H H Scott 222c integrated amplifier on these very pages. Wow, it is hard to believe that this thing was built in the early 1960's. Using it to drive Rogers LS 3/5a's, the palpability and realism on vocals and lead instruments can be startling at times. It totally blew away some highly regarded solid state gear I was using previously.

H H Scott made other integrated amps with different features, transformers, output tubes and power ratings. I am interested in hearing about other people's experiences with this and other models. I think that this gear is very under-rated, and can stand up favorably to many more expensive modern efforts. Do others agree?
johnnybgoode
Craig at nosvalves would be at the top of my list to service or repair my stuff. I have read nothing but raves about his work and attention to detail. I would send it to him without hesitation.

Glad to see others enjoying their vintage gear. I love mine also.
JBG: I have used Craig at NosValves to fix my Fisher 400. He does excellent work at a reasonable price. I can highly recommend him. He usually has a long waiting list which speaks highly of how much in demand he really is.

I would be interested to hear what parts he replaces. Most vintage forums suggest replacing the selenium rectifer (a must really) and the electrolytic caps. The original paper and wax caps where made to last 20 years and are now 40 years old. Also, the high wattage resistors are notoriuos to go out of spec and sometimes need to be changed.

Good luck and enjoy that Scott.
Ldatlof and Wwwrecords,

Thanks for the glowing advice (slight pun intended - tubes, glow...). I am definately going ahead with Craig at Nosvalves.

Thanks!
Ldatlof and Wwwrecords, many thanks, excellent advice. Karavite, looking out for each other is our PURPOSE in these forums. When we all share information like this, we spare each other wasted time, disappointment and costly mistakes in our search for truth in music reproduction. One thing I've always loved about vintage Scott gear (and the reason I started this thread) is the opportunity to get into some really musical gear without mortgaging the house. Karavite, when you get your Scott back, please be sure to post and let everyone know how it turned out. By the way, what speakers have you been using that mate so well with your Scott 222a?
Will do. I'll let you know about everything!

I agree about the budget issues. Before I found my Scott I thought I had to spend thousands and thousands for great sound and I indeed spent thousands and thousands for nice, but not entirely satisfying sound (Totem, Rotel, B&W...). Actually I now know you don't have to spend so much $$$ even for great sounding new gear (Prima Luna integrated for example), but it is tough out there and most of us learn the lessons only after spending money.

My speakers are Omega Loudspeakers Super 3Rs. I bought them about three years ago. Omega has a new model of my speaker out now and here is the website: http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/super%203.htm

Louis at Omega is a fantastic guy. I mean it, Grade A, super number one. He put up with all my newbie questions with 100% class and patience. He was anything but arrogant or pretentious (so rare in the world of audio). On top of that he makes some awesome speakers. At 93db and with a single 4.5" full range driver these speakers are a fantastic match for my Scott. When I first turned them on it was love. Then I bought some nice speaker cables from Louis and it was even more love. Then I got the Skylan stands and it was insane love. Then I filled the stands with sand and it was over the top out of control love (I was skeptical this would have any effect, but it was huge).

Any way, that and a Rotel CD player and a Music Hall MMF turntable are all I have here in the living rom, but it keeps me happy. Well, in a month or two I should be set up with a modded Squeeze Box 3 and one of my Macs as a music server. I think it will be kind of neat to have a 45 year old amp hooked up to a wireless computer based music network.