Favorite H H Scott Tube Integrated Amplifier

I just purchased an H H Scott 222c integrated amplifier on these very pages. Wow, it is hard to believe that this thing was built in the early 1960's. Using it to drive Rogers LS 3/5a's, the palpability and realism on vocals and lead instruments can be startling at times. It totally blew away some highly regarded solid state gear I was using previously.

H H Scott made other integrated amps with different features, transformers, output tubes and power ratings. I am interested in hearing about other people's experiences with this and other models. I think that this gear is very under-rated, and can stand up favorably to many more expensive modern efforts. Do others agree?
johnnybgoode
Hello, I thought I would wake up this thread with a question (and boy do I sound like a total newby up there in those old posts!). Alas, my 222A is starting crackle and pop somewhat frueqently. My problem is, where do I go/send it to get it checked out? I read enough warnings about how various replacements could ruin what I like most about this amps sound, so now I am wary. I live in Philly, but I could ship it anywhere. I tried writing www.hotglassaudio.com and http://www.nosvalves.com/, but the former's mailbox was full and the latter seems quite busy. In addition, I know nothing about either one (just Google). I have about zero electronics knowledge, but is there anything I could check on my own? Could it just be tubes?
It might just be dirty contacts. My Scott 222c did that initially because some tubes had worked loose during shipping. My suggestion is that you first make sure it is not some other component in the chain causing the crackling sound by switching components. If the sound persists, clean all connections thoroughly - I prefer to use Cramolin products. If it still persists, clean the potentiometers. Make sure the tube sockets are clean and tight. If you know how to work safely with the unit on, try tapping the tubes gently - if one makes a particularly loud noise, you may have a microphonic tube. If a tube has a bluish glow, it could be gassy. If you have access to a tube checker, check the tubes one by one, making sure that you put each back in its respective socket (if you have two matched pairs and not a matched quartet on the power tubes, changing the order could affect the sound). If all these measures fail, I would refer you Benny at Modular Electronics in Roswell, Georgia. He's the tube tech many of the high-end dealers in Atlanta use, so he comes highly recommended.
Hey JBG, good to see you are still around! I did check connections and microphonic tubes, but no go. The thing is it seems to be getting worse, more frequent yet unpredictable and happens at any odd moment. From that I am thinking it might be time to get it checked out. I just cooresponded with Craig at www.nosvalves.com. I think he has the right philosophy (no wild modifications, just get it back to spec since Scott engineers knew what they were doing), So, I am about 99% sure I am going to have him work it up. What do you think? Am I making a big potential mistake? I have read all the warnings here, but I still can't see how something this old couldn't benefit from being worked on.

Thanks
Anyone else know about nosvalves.com? I hadn't heard of that outfit personally, but checking their website they certainly seem to have the right philosophy - restoration of old units to original specs rather than designing amateur modifications. If you know this to be a place that owners of old Scott units trust to get it done right, please share the knowledge. Oh, and good to hear from you also, Karavite.
JBG, you are always looking out for me! I could swear I first heard about nosvalves somewhere here on audiogon (I bookmarked it long ago). I do remember that wherever I found it, was with some good recommendations. I just did a forum search and found two or three people who mentioned nosvalves and dropped them an email.