Favorite H H Scott Tube Integrated Amplifier

I just purchased an H H Scott 222c integrated amplifier on these very pages. Wow, it is hard to believe that this thing was built in the early 1960's. Using it to drive Rogers LS 3/5a's, the palpability and realism on vocals and lead instruments can be startling at times. It totally blew away some highly regarded solid state gear I was using previously.

H H Scott made other integrated amps with different features, transformers, output tubes and power ratings. I am interested in hearing about other people's experiences with this and other models. I think that this gear is very under-rated, and can stand up favorably to many more expensive modern efforts. Do others agree?
johnnybgoode
Karavite, it's too late. As of today, there are only three Scott integrateds listed on AudiogoN and I know that at least one of them is already sold. We've created a Frankenstein. Just be glad you got yours, and be sure you hold onto it.
Hey Johhny - alas I think you called it 100%! Oh well, they still seem to be a bargain! Oops - now I just drove up asking prices!
The Scott integrated amps may be getting scarcer and / or pricier, but Scott also made some receivers. I have not heard much talk about them, but a receiver is basically just an integrated amp with a tuner section. Does anyone out there know if any of the Scott receivers were really good pieces, or is it best to stick with the integrated amps and / or separate components?
Hey, thought I would wake up this old thread. You see, just for kicks I got a second old Scott on these very pages, a 222-D. This D had some work done to it including the replacement of resistors mentioned in this thread. I know this is hardly scientific, but I'd like to offer my comparison to the never touched 222-A (I bought a few months ago and this repaired 222-D. One will win out for the living room while the other will go in my wife's studio (she is an art teacher).

A few caveats - the 222-D needs to have the bias set and I need to go get a voltmeter (this is all new to me). The 222-D has adequate tubes, but the seller told me I might want to look into better tubes. The description of the work on the 222-D is: "Replaced coupling caps and bias resistors, replaced selenium rectifier, cleaned all controls and switches, replaced power filter cap, repaired solder connections."

Okay, so though these are not the exact same amps I have to say right out of the box (40 years after it was in its original box!), the 222-D just does not sound as musical and warm as the 222-A. There is something about the A that instantly blew me away, but is not quite there with the D. The D has a great soundstage, way more bass, but there is something in the tone of the A I can't describe. I could go on with all kinds of totally subjective audiophile terminology here ("liquid smooth mids and tight responsive bass... blah blah blah..."), but I won't do that.

However, one of my "test" CDs is Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations (his later/older version from the 1980s). I have listened to this recording a million times and with the 222-A, the piano sound is wonderful and brings out "piano-ness" to near perfection to my ears. FYI, I have a real Steinway grand sitting 12 away feet from the amp, so I know what a piano sounds like!!! The D sounds nice on this same recording, but after the A, it is really no comparison. It's nice, it is all there, but there is no "magic."

However, now I will go out and set the bias, try some better tubes and report back. In the mean time, any thoughts or suggestions?

P.S. You might be able to figure out who I bought this D from and I want to clearly state he was a fantastic seller and I am 100% satisfied with the purchase. My comparing the D to A is in no way a commentary on anything about the seller of this D. He was perfect and a class act for sure. Couldn't find a better seller anywhere.
It may be an old thread, but it's a good thread. I would also suggest that you look into different tubes, because I have experienced major sonic differences between brands and between new and old tubes. Suggestion: previous participants in this thread agreed that selenium rectifiers and coupling caps should be replaced. However, you had to be careful changing resistors as the old carbon types gave these amps a special magic. I am not sure whether or not they were including the bias resistors, or if your new bias resistors aren't similar carbon types. Perhaps you should look into this. Also, setting the bias correctly can make a huge difference. It might be worthwhile to see if tuning the amp up optimally can bring the lost "magic" back.