How much preamp will improve

I am thinking of adding a preamp to my system. Currently my HT set up include the following equipment:
Audio Refinement Pre2 dsp, Multi 5 amp
Cary 303/200, Nad 541
Harmonic Technology Pro9
Van den Hum d103 mkIII interconect
Spendor S8

I am using the processor as preamp and I have a strong suspicion that it is the limitting factor in my system.

Would my sytem be benefitted with either a dedicated tube or solid state preamp?
andy2
i'm using a HT-oriented pre/pro (rotel rsx-1055) - it's actually a reciever, but for 2ch i'm using the main outs to separate amplification - and i can tell you from having tried several 2ch outboard preamps (in place of the rotel) that there is A LOT of room for improvement there. i've used tube based pieces such as the Eastern Electric, and an old-school PAS-3 (non-X) and found they changed the character of the entire system drastically. i've also used other HT pre-amp only (outboard processors) and found things were different.

note, i said different. not always better. simply put, you're going to need some AMAZING (read: $$$) interconnects in order to overcome the separation of the two pieces. put another way: moving the processor out of the same box of the pre might solve a few things like power supply, noise, whatever, but has the potential to cause a LOT of headache / nightmares / costs.

for HT, i'd say either get a better integrated pre/proc. and amp, rather than spend money on separeate processors and preamps (the only reason i'd suggest that is for upgradability re: different formats in the future). for 2ch / music, i'd say, separate them to your heart's content: lets put it this way, you can spend the $$ on 2 really nice ICs vs 8 for 7.1 :)
I dump my whole HT setup because I enjoy listen to music more than getting shaked by the pounding from the movies.
I used to have sony 9000ES digital preamp with Bryston 9 BST. The music never as good in HT preamp. The first preamp I jump on was Audio Research SP-11 MKII. Even to this day, SP-11 MKII is still one of the best preamp out there. Another recommendation is Counterpoint SA-5000. This is the bargain in preamp. Very nice and sweet sound like no other preamp and yet it is very transparent and not muddy.
I think you can have the best of two worlds by having a preamp with a HT bypass. It would be a bit cumbersome to operate but I don't mind (having no wife yet :-)).