is the McCormack DNA 1 Deluxe the same as DNA 125?

Are these the same amps (excepting the wattage difference)? I can get both used for about the same price. Is there a prefferance for either? I will be using Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 speakers.
128x128fishcall
Fish,

I listen to a lot of Dead on my Thiel CS6s driven by a DNA-2 Dlx. The sound is great on the well-done recordings. These are very revealing speakers and to me, the combination gets every last bit of sound out of those recordings while still being pleasent to listen to. The Dick's picks and other official release stuff sound very good.
I listened to the Dead's four disc set closing of Fillmore East this weekend. listened to it twice. . . .followed by Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus.

The Dead set sounded fantastic given the age of the recording, but I am not entirely sold on silver cables.

I am loving my DNA 1 dlx, as it does provide improved dynamics, more and better bass, and better soundstaging, but it does tend to be harsh at times. I am not sure if harsh cymbals, for example, are due to the recording, the cabling, or the amp. . . . .but then that's is what this pursuit is about, huh?
Hello again Fishcall -

So, now you are asking the truly difficult questions! Yes, my amplifiers are detailed and revealing, and I believe them to be tonally neutral and transparent, as well. The real trick is to put all of these attributes together in an amplifier that is also sweet, relaxed, and musically engaging, no matter what sort of music you are playing. I have worked hard to achieve this goal, and the new amps are better in this regard than the originals. Still - as I am sure you are finding out - any amplifier is only as good as what is fed into it, and I have not designed my amps to be deliberately "mellow" or forgiving. If there are problems in your source material, you will definitely hear them, but this should be true with any good amplifier.

Equipment synergy plays a key role in any great system. It is ultimately up to you to experiment with different equipment, room setup, room tuning, cables, etc. to find the combination that works for you. This is both the pain and pleasure of the hobby. I wish you the best with your search, and I'll be happy to answer any of your questions about my equipment. Please refer to the FAQ section of my website at www.SMcAudio.com for additional useful information.

Best regards,

Steve McCormack

SMc Audio
929 El Pajodo Place
Vista, CA 92084
760-732-0352 voice
760-732-3209 fax
[email protected]
www.SMcAudio.com
Fishcall,

I use a DNA 125 with Vienna Acoustics Beethoven speakers and listen to audience recordings of the jam bands. The DNA-125 does a great job controlling the extra low bass that is usually on these recordings especially Widespread Panic when Schools drops a bass bomb!! The highs are sweet and liquid sounding. If you have recordings made with large diaphram mics everything sounds twice as nice. Bad recordings sound bad but they don't hurt to listen to as they did when I still had an Acurus A250.

Hope this helps
DesmondJim