Another wattage question.

I currently have the B&W 805 Signatures and am thinking about upgrading my amp. They apparently can handle 50-120 watts into 8 ohms. My question is, if I were to get an amp that puts out 250-350 watts into 8 ohms would that be okay? I know this is a newbie question but I just want to be sure. Thanks!
jzzmn88
Bombaywalla,

Thanks very much for your informative posts!! I second Dmitrydr, this should be in a FAQ. Are you an engineer by any chance?
The simple truth is that more speakers are damaged from too little available power than too much power. While your speaker is rated for 120 continuous watts, it's peak power handling is going to be much higher. That peak will even change with regard to the frequency of the signal. Your speakers will tolerate more power at 1khz than say 30hz. While the amp may be rated for 250 watts continuous, you would be hard pressed to find a musical signal that would require 250 watts continuous. Power pulled from an amp pretty much follows the beat of the music and those small periods of time when you hit 250 watts or more shouldn't be a problem to anything other than the smallest mini monitor. I fried more tweeters with my old Realistic 25watt receiver than I've ever fried with my Hafler XL600 or Pass X250. Amplifier clipping is far more hazardous than having too much available power.