VTL Tetrode/Triode

I'm just curious if any VTL amp owners (I have a MB-450) with triode/tetrode switchability have any preference for one or the other mode, depending on the type of music one is listening to.

Even though some music is a no-brainer (e.g., a Mozart piano trio sounds much better in triode mode, and a Mahler symphony sounds better in tetrode), sometimes I'm hard pressed to choose. Small-scale jazz or blues can sound good in either mode.

Any thoughts?
hgabert
I'm using Dunlavy Athenas, a VTL 5.5 pre, ARC CD-2 with harmonic tech pro silways between the CD and the pre and truth links from the pre to the amps (i needed 22 ft so budget had to fit in there somewhere).

I re-read your original post and noted where your switch had to be reinstalled...Putting it in 180 out could be the reason our interpretations are opposite.

As to the conclusion which is best it depends on the music, my mood and whether i have the ambition to get off the couch and monkey with the switch. If i had to live with only one it would be tetrode though...got to have that power when the application calls for it.
I was kidding about the switches being reversed - that's pretty unlikely with two monoblocks, and besides you can't mistake which mode has less power. Last night I did my first listening tests between the two modes with the KT-88's installed. I'm not ready yet to report with certainty, but preliminary results suggest that my impressions will be different with these tubes...
Zaikesman:

I'd be curious to get your report on the KT-88 tubes vs. the 6550s. I called VTL a couple months ago and they advised against any tube-rolling (at least for my amp). So long.
Hgabert: I have been posting my ongoing findings regarding the output tube question on this archived thread, but my comments there do not touch yet on the differences between tetrode and triode with the KT-88's installed. VTL has told me that they've auditioned their amps with KT-88's and liked the results, especially in the bass, but preferred to stick with the 6550C's for the vocal-range reproduction. I don't know what KT-88 versions they've tried to date, but I suspect the EH's were not yet available at the time of the trials Bea described to me, and assume they were Svet's. In my auditioning with the KT-88EH's, I have detected no penalty on vocals compared to the 6550C's, and in fact am now hearing more vocal detail, but as I will shortly go into more specifics about on the other thread, I am reluctant to draw any final conclusions since my 6550C's are over a year old and my KT-88EH's are almost new. Nevertheless, I am tempted to wonder whether VTL's preference for continuing to employ the 6550C might not have something to do with the cost factor - though it's a good enough tube, I am thinking the KT-88EH is better in this application (particularly in the bass), at least in my system and to my ears. I also am currently investigating whether it may possess comparitively greater significant advantages over the 6550C when the two are compared running in triode... :-)
So many variables: your speakers, cables, impedance matches, recording quality, musical genre, your personal tastes, I could go on and on. I own the 450's with the 5.5 Pre. At first I kept switching back and forth. Audiophile friends with strong opinions indicated triode was better (without even listening!). I finally decided that tetrode matches my Nautilus 802's (better grip), and the images are more precisely focused. That's it. You can sonically tailor your listening sessions by warming up the sound on harsh recordings in triode, or you can experience the incredible speed and headroom 450 watts a side give you. But trust your ears, man. And remember, If you stop the music to switch modes constantly, your actual listening time is reduced. Hope this helps.