hifi as investment?

Well sort of. I am just starting out in this hobby and having already exchanged a few used components I bought here and later sold- sometimes for the same amount I paid- sometimes for more-

Seeing this has made me consider the idea that one could approach this hobby's acquisitions as a sort of currency. Considering the ease with which many popular components are sold- SCD-1, De Capos, etc. I have begun to realize that it is possible to approach an expensive system with the rational (if art is not enough) that ridiculously expensive components are just another form of money- a temporary resting place for your reserves (of course this considers purchasing used and at a fair price).

I'm looking for nominations. What components are most depreciation proof once they have taken the hit of being used? I want to rationize an absurd purchase and enjoy my monetary reserves while retaining my safety net.

Does anyone else approach it like this? Used Elrods? Don't get me wrong, I'm doing it for the love of music, but a $15000 system requires some consideration of financial prudence right?
wheeler
Perhaps the title threw off my intention for this thread. I wasn't actually suggesting that you could make money in this hobby buying and selling.

What I meant was that I like the fact that I can pick up a used pair of De Capos for $1500 and sell them for $1500 a year later. I enjoy them and they actually cost me nothing except for shipping. Maybe I sell them for $1400. Oh well. If you take this up another level it becomes interesting in that I can enjoy some $5000 amp bought used and sell it later for about the same thing.

I'm looking for items that are particulary strong in this regard. A place to "put" my money and take it out later if I want easily enough.

TTs seem like they fit the bill well. What else? Maybe some power cords?
As long as you are willing to forego food clothing and reasonable lodging there is no reason you cannot enjoy this hobby and not have it conflict with other aspects of your life. Actually making money though is doubtful!
Do a search for "free audio" and see what you find, I am not sure what you will find, but the concept is out there. This opportunity has been around for quite awhile. Linn Kan II loudspeakers are a prime example of a product that has a large enough following and the used price holds its own for years. Obviously there are a lot of vintage products that fall into the same category. Digital sources will not sustain their resale price point for too long due to improving technology.
Wheeler - yeah, a better subject for the thread would probably be "creating your own full-credit upgrade plan". Many full-service dealers used to offer a full-credit upgrade plan if you wanted to, say, trade in your speakers you bought from them for something higher in the line. I don't think many dealers offer this any more, which is part of what makes used / internet so attractive, IMO.

It's certainly reasonable to imagine buying a system for 50% of retail, using it for several years and selling it for 35% of retail. That means you could enjoy a $20K system for $10K invested, use it for five years, and sell for $7K. You might even be able to do better, but even if you didn't, that's $50 /month to enjoy a fabulous system. Certainly one of life's cheaper pleasures.