++++StereoPhile Class A components+++++

Any of you guys who have listened to more components than I have, or maybe anyone who has been in the industry: I see a lot of posts mentioning "stereophile class A " etc, so I assume this recommendation carries a lot of weight. (After purchasing my Audio PHysic Virgo II's, I saw that they were class A in stereophile, so I felt like I agreed with what they were saying.) Are the reviews completely independent? With the vast array of components out there, can they really cover all of them? Do you guys really agree with the class A and B thing? Thanks for the perspective....Mark
mythtrip
I'm curious - How many of the posters here who see advertisers receiving positive reviews as de facto incriminating evidence of a quid pro quo are Consumers Reports subscribers? How many would pay what a Stereophile subscription would cost if they didn't accept advertising? How many would even enjoy perusing the magazine if it were bereft of ads?

I agree that Stereophile's credibility gap is of their own making, but people unwilling to put their money where their mouth is shouldn't lob hand-grenades.
if you had a nickel for everytime a manufacturer popped by sam's house, you'd be rich.
I've nothing against advertisers or even reviewers who write up advertisers products as long as they make it clear that their reviews are biased. After all, no one, no matter how ethical and honest, will quarrel with his or her kind providers.

When they first appeared, neither Stereophile or Absolute Sound accepted advertisements. Consequently, their hard-hitting reviews sent manufacturers whining and whimpering into corners. Then, they decided to accept advertising after all - but only dealers. Later they also accepted manufacturers ads, in my view, at the cost of absolute honesty.

Many years ago, to make summer cash, I worked in the kitchen of a ritzy hotel. I remember the manager storming in and reproving the 'extravagance' of one of the chefs by saying: "Anyone can cook with butter!" Look, anyone can make a good loudspeaker for $35,000 or even $10,000. Making a good one for $1,000, now that takes some doing! So, I guess if you can afford the prices, you can surely trust the "A list".