Spectral DMC 12, 20 or 30 preamp?

My next upgrade is a spectral preamp. The DMC - 12 sounds very nice in my system (Thiel 1.6, Mcormack dna 0.5 or Golden tube se 40 (I swap these alot), arcam alpha 7 cd (will be upgrading soon, maybe to a rotel), MIT cable).

The DMC 20 used is more money, as is the 30. I'm wondering if anyone can expand on the sonic differences are between these? One of my priorities is bass - midbass, thiels have nothing in the low end, but the midbass is very nice on them. The less money I spend on this, the more is available to a power amp. Flip side is I'll be living with this for awhile, so the better I have, the happier I'll be.
robertd
Bear, it is both pretty funny and amazing how using the exact same parts but in a different layout on a board can get you very different results, isn't it ? Since i work with RF for a living, which can be EXREMELY layout sensitive due to impedance changes and circuit stability, i found this out a LONG time ago. I don't think that most audio designers / engineers pay attention to such things. In my opinion this could be the difference between a good product and a TRULY great one. Sean
>
While we are on this subject, I'd like to raise the question again of whether anyone has directly compared the dmc20 vs. the dmc30S or dmc30sl. I haven't done so, and would like to hear the opinions of others.

Thanks. (It's still on topic.)
Yeah Sean, layout does matter as soon as you care about a bandwidth beyond a few hundred kHz. That is one of the things that set Spectral's design off from some others. In fact there is/was a PS Audio preamp that more or less borrowed the same circuit (really, really close) but did not sound worth a damn, imho. Although it may have been one of the better PS Audio units. The layout just was not up to the same standards...side by side the PS looked like a clusterknot compared to the Spectral.

Take a look at the Halcro amp, they had to pay attention to RF layout as well... (not for raw bandwidth, but to keep wide bandwidth so that the feedback would work to drop the distortion 2 orders of magnitude lower than usual).

_-_-bear
Bear,
Out of curiousity, do your comments on split RIAA and pcb's relate to the dmc 20 series I or series II? I thought the series II, at least, was a Keith Johnson design and not Demian Martin's.