Old Classic Receivers: A Mistake to Buy?

I was contemplating purchasing a 70's receiver, as I used to love the construction and appearance of the Sansui, Kenwood, Pioneer, Marantz. However, when I ran this by an audio friend, he said, "Forget it."

He says: They sound terrible. The caps & resistors used before the early 90s' were dreadful. The electrolytics are drying up and will start crackling and substantially degrade the sonics. The switches and controls used were almost never sealed, so they deteriorate and make noise and can't be fixed even by taking them apart and cleaning them.

Tuners: He says that nearly all non-digital tuners used varactors, which go out of alignment and cause problems, so no old tuners, with the exception of the Mac MR-78 and possibly a few others, are worth dealing with.

I am tempted to believe all that he is saying is true, but I see a market for these items, and also know that people claim they are still using these pieces for 25 years.

What's the truth here? Can some of the techies enlighten me?
kevziek
Alright I'm a novice to this forum but I like this thread
and wouldn't it be cool to have a system that is as good as
anybody that frequents this forum would expect, but looks as though it was from whatever "golden age" we all remember.
I mean how about 21st century technology in a package that corresponds to the era when we fell in love with "the sound" that made the hair on the back of our neck stand up.
Or I am I just nuts?
Thank you,
Monstrol
Post removed 
The people that rebiult mine were Soundsmiths.
They are very good and went through mine completely offering an 18 month warranty.

http://www.sound-smith.com/
I wouldnt say a mistake..but there is always a risk going with something used and old...regardless of build quality and how it performed in its heyday...I would say for less headaches, better sound, and a better value...go with a more modern intergrated amp...and add a vintage analog tuner for almost nothing...I used to have an older Pioneer SX series receiver...switched to a NAD intergrated...and the difference has been night and day...larger soundstage, much more detail, and cleaner bass....the Pioneer sounded cool in a vintage, "nostalgic" way...kind of made everything "warm and fuzzy"...which depending on your likes...can be good or bad...
I retailed the gear mentioned in the 1970s and early `80s, and still own and respect much of it today. The praise for many of the units mentioned above is deserved, even though I presently also use current Edge, Presence Audio, Manley, Rowland, Audio Note and others. Many of the designs back then were simpler inside (fewer parts), used more point-to-point OFC wiring (less circuit board paths), used less negative feedback, and often bigger power supplies. Maybe those are some of the reasons, but also, perhaps those designers knew more than we realize. And if the caps and some resistors fail- these units are still cheap to repair by any competent repair shop, as most all the parts are readily available.

Best,
Roy Johnson
Green Mountain Audio