Best Integrated Tube Amp for 2.5K or Less

Got a pair of ML Aerius i. Love them. Lookin to upgrade my integrated amp... right now I have an NAD 340 (yikes!), and can finally upgrade (YEH!)...

how would you spend your $2500?
128x128dennis_the_menace
You might consider the JoLida JD-1000A, at $1700 retail. Disclaimer - I'm a JoLida dealer. I sort of specialize in amps that work well with electrostats, since my primary loudspeaker line is Sound Lab electrostats. The JD-1000A uses the EL-34 output tube, which is more musical in the midrange than the KT88/6550 familiy of tubes, while the KT88/6550's are more powerful per tube, and generally have better bass. The JoLida's output transformer is quite good for the money, and this amp has what it takes to drive a hybrid electrostat like the Aerius i.

Among the other amps here, the Audio Research uses two 6550/KT88 output tubes, and the VTL and CJ each use four EL34 output tubes (so despite the optimistic power rating of the VTL, it's essentially the same power as the CJ or the little JoLida 302B). The JoLida JD-1000A uses EIGHT EL34's, so it's twice as powerful as the other EL34 amps mentioned here (and more than twice as powerful as the AR amp). That extra power is welcome when driving the Martin Logans, but because the JoLida does it with the EL34 tube, you don't trade off midrange performance for power. And the JoLida costs less than the others, so you can put the extra money into a tube upgrade if you'd like.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Best of luck to you!

Duke
The Jolida 1000a is an interesting piece. Way more powerful, but so much less. Why is that? it makes me wonder...

Can anyone speak from experience how the Jolida integrated amp has stacked up sound-wise vs. the CJ or VTL?
JJ Electronics Kt88 Integrated with C-Core transformers, Torodial Power Transformers(one per channel)Eight KT88, 4 per channel, Remote Control, 70 watts per channel, sounds great.
Jolidas have cheap chinese valves, cheap trannys, cheap coupling capacitors and throw a great amount of DC into the speaker. Beware! Most of the time its specified characteristics do not correspond to reality.
You buy Jolida to change everything except the circuit board or the wiring(which is also cheap but OK).

VTLs are the Manley's quality designes and they're all great.

CJ you shouldn't buy used since the built quality lacks of reliability.