Who out there knows about Audio Research Pre's???

Out of all the the used tube pre's which one offers most bang for the buck?Also if it is the SP6 how much odes the A version differ from B-E?I notice a number of LS22's which seem more recent in vintage and list for $4K going for $1500 and they look form back to be fully balanced (though looks/XLR's can be decieving).How old are they and why do they go so cheap.The LS25II seems to be most recent and uses the 6H30 (??) "Super Tube" like BAT.Seems a bit to rich for my blood.But want something to replace my Muse at some point to match with a Mesa Baron and about 10 different spaekrs I will own over next few years.
chazzbo
I went from LS-25mk1 to LS-25mk2- back to LS-25mk1. Have you tried some Amperex 6dj8's and Siemens 6922's. The 6H23 are better than the Sovtek 6922's but they are still far removed from the 1960's European tubes. But I'd still choose the 6H23 over a 6H30.
I agree with tubegroover's recommendation on the SP8 & SP10. I got an SP6C1 with the muting circuit moded. The C1 uses 12ax7 (4) and 6dj8 (2). The 6dj8 has about an 8 db better signal to noise ratio over the 12ax7. Mine is fairly quite running a low output MC. The tubes used on the preamp makes a huge difference. I did lots of tube rolling with Mullards, Telefunkens, GE, Amperex...etc.
Well, I have a ARC SP10II AND a Mesa Baron! That said, the pre-amp you pick will be determined by what tone you expect to get. The Baron is neutral and can be more like SS except for the presence of tube air and spaciousness. I like my system to err on the warm side and would not recommend an ARC amp later than the SP10II - I'd look at SP8II the SP6 (latter models) and if you want classic ARC warmth, and can give up a bit of resolution, the SP3. If you don't need a phono stage, I would suggest that you listen to an EAR 834L. They are cheap, easy to tube, and sound much like they SP10 (in fact except for the bass, which is better in the EAR, they are incredibly close). I use one in a second system. The differences in ARC pre amps has been discussed at length and accurately in the Audio Asylum forum and I would suggest you do a search there.
My two cents:
I have an LS2B mk2. Used for $750.00 on audiogon and is a terrific value. the amp is a music reference rm 200, audio aero 24/192 mk2 cd player, vpi scout tt, pass labs xono phono, audio physic virgos, nordost spm, quattro fil and silversmith cables. the LS2b offers great resolution, a big soundstage and it's noise free as well. I don't think you have to pay the LS22 or 25 dough to get the performance. good luck!