Help My

I just bought a used Conrad Johnson PF-R pre-amp here on Audiogon and I'm having some problems. My amp (Citation7.1) keeps overloading (the red indicator light goes on and off and the unit shuts itself off altogether then comes back on It does this even when there is no music playing through it. If I turn the amp on (the CJ is always on) and just let it sit there, after about five or ten minutes the problem begins. I do not have this amp problem with any other pre-amp hooked up to it, it only occurs when the Conrad Johnson is connected to it. It seems really strange that this would happen even when there is no music playing. Is there some kind of short circuit going on in the CJ? I wanted some expert advice before I contact the seller about this problem. I should mention that the pre-amp itself never seems to show any signs of distress and when I'm playing music it sounds fantastic.

Thanks,

Steve
say811
Well I don't see any swithes or adjustments of any kind, but other than that I don't know what a DC offset is.
kr's question about possible DC on the preamp output is something to definitely check into; DC will put most amps immediately into protect mode. You'll probably need a scope for this test but a voltmeter might catch it as well. But before you go to the repair shop check your interconnects. A loose shield connection that makes / breaks at random could cause that amp to want to protect itself as well.