RMAF 2012 Postmortem

Doesn't seem to be an RMAF 2012 thread yet.

Wondering what people thought, so I'll make a start.

Best in Show:

The big Ventures. Hard to describe how good these speakers sounded without being sappy. IMHO, embarrassing to other "statement" speakers at the show, like the big TAD and Lansche.

I was mostly interested in high efficiency speakers. Especially good were:

Zu Defintion IV
Devore Gibbon 93 and 96
Sonist C4

The Sonists, playing in the Snake River system, sounded especially good considering their (comparatively) reasonable price.

A few other noteworthy speakers were

Vapor's new 3 way

Vivid's space alien rendition of a mini-tower in the Tweak geek room

The Evolution mini-monitor was the best (reasonably) accessible speaker I heard, at 2500. Very good.

Opinions based on information overload, over a day and a half of listening.

Any other impressions?

John
jdoris
Dpe,

A buzz in the 10-12 kHz region from a ribbon tweeter should show up in a frequency response curve. On my RAAL ribbon tweeter the response curve is as flat as a pancake. A lot of dome tweeters start to roll off above 10 kHz and I think that is what you must be hearing.

Bob
Petrakis, I see you are now having second thoughts on the Vapor Audio speakers. I understand.
I would not be surprised if the "unmeasurable" artifact irritating to Dpe's and other's ears is related to the torsional distortion related to a ribbon's twisting (slight as it may be). Planar's do not suffer (or suffer less) from this problem, due to the increased stability provided by the planar's substrate (typically mylar), albeit a planar speaker may not be perceived to sound as "fast" as a ribbon.
Over the last thirty-five years, I have yet to hear a ribbon (not to say this may not happen) without a "sheen" to its character. Some people like this, some don't. I find the sound of ribbons to be interesting, albeit one, over time, to be fatiguing, and at the end of the day less like music, instead, more effect driven.
Their simplicity offers a very high cool factor: secure a thin strip or strips of aluminum within a strong magnetic field and transform ac voltage from the amplifier to modulate current to the ribbon. What could be simpler--taking into account simple does not always mean easy?
There are still some aspects of audio reproduction that have yet to be measured. And even if we arrive at a point where we "believe" all that can measured has been taken into account, at that same point in time we will have lost our senses.
My suggestion: don't lose your senses (as whimsical and unreliable they may be for discerning an enduring, unchanging "truth').
If a given sound brings up a red flag, per se, it is worth trying to understand the source of the red flag (it may be the polarity of an AC plug needs to be reversed?).
In today's world of "measured perfection," many have become less and less attuned and trusting of their senses and gut feelings, change as they may over time (welcome to maturation). Measurements may provide an interesting map to look at, but the territory is for each of us to discover on our own.
I wouldn't say second thoughts, just keeping my options open. The Vapor Joule is my top choice at this time. The Analysis panels, I have doubts would work in my very large room where I'm rarely in the sweet spot. And the Rosso's sounded quite nice, but were a bit utilitarian. I flat out loved the sound of all the Vapor designs, and also like that I can customize the look to fit a house where everything is custom already.

Jpl208, did you send me a PM? I tried to figure out how to check and can't tell if I have one or not.
Petrakis LOL, didn't need to send you a pm as the Vapor Audio speakers are now listed in the classifieds. Good luck with your Vapor postings.
More to discover