Fed up with people making noise at classical shows

Last night I heard Vladimir Feltsman perform Chopin's Ballades at the Perelman Theater in Philadelphia's Kimmel Center. My excitement was building as my favorite part of the first Ballade approached. Immediately before the key was struck, someone sneezed. It was at that moment that I asked myself, "What the hell am I doing here? I have this at home, recorded by three different pianists." Throughout the performance were the sounds of coughing, sneezing moving in one's seat, dropping of programs, and talking.

I know this is the chance you take when attending live classical concerts and I LOVE hearing live music, but frankly I'm sick of it. I'm sick of paying money for traveling and the ticket itself just to be annoyed for two hours. Last Tuesday night a ringing cell phone disrupted a performance by the New York Philharmonic to the point where the conductor actually stopped the orchestra half way through Mahler's Ninth and addressed the moron who wouldn't shut it off.

Once, DURING A PERFORMANCE, someone got out of their seat, walked up to the stage and began "conducting the orchestra" with an imaginary baton.

As I said, I love attending live music, but when things like this happen, I'm ready to just stay home and save myself the aggravation.

Sorry, just had to vent.
devilboy

It would be interesting if we knew how old the posters are. I'm 56. My parents raised me to be polite, say yes sir and yes ma'am to our elders, hold doors open for ladies and help them on and off with their coats, we had evening meals with no TV or radio and had conversations. There was an attitude that you could do what you wanted as long as you weren't bothering somebody else. Go ahead and call me an old fart if you wish but I see that lacking in the generation coming into adulthood.

Of course I have no way of knowing, but if I were a betting man I would bet that those who respond with smart ass one-liners and ridicule Devilboy because he would like to listen to a concert without being distracted are some of the younger people here.

BYW I'm going to our local symphony this evening, I will do my best not to belch or pass gas during the performance.

You are 14 years older than me and my suggesting coughs and a accidental sneeze shouldnt ruin a night is far from suggesting everyone is free to do what they want. I noted several times examples of phones and conversations are unacceptable but thats been lost here. Once again its posts directed at me that invite continued participation.

Mission accomplished; sat through the entire concert without a single extraneous emission on my part.

The lady next to me started a coughing fit but excused herself and got up and left. It was a minor distraction and did not diminish my evening.

Interesting comments from conductor Mark Wigglesworth on audience noise.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/blog/shaping-the-invisible/disengagement-rings