Disappointing Evening

I had some dinner guest's over last evening. I had my main system warming up just in case there was some interest from them in audio. I have a second system that was playing when they arrived. It's a Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 9000 that my inlaws gave me a few years back. Well soon enough a couple of them were commenting about the good music, so I asked if they would like to hear my pride and joy system, mostly all tube gear that (IMO) looks pretty cool with all the tubes lit up and sounds way better than the B&O stuff. No interest at all in the tube system and they hovered around the B&O loving the way the glass door opened and the arm moved to each CD. Boy was I insulted, all the time, money and energy I have in my tube system!
markpao
We are a rare breed of enthusiasts, and we have priorities that are unique to each of us, even within this forum. I have a few audio buddies but we don't spend much time listening to each other's systems over the course of year. My closest audio buddy that does "get it" lives 500 miles from me so we only see each other and share the hobby at his place or mine no more than a couple of times a year.

Personally I feel extremely fortunate to have been able to live in a time when there was much choice in equipment, which logarithmically expands to possible system configurations (no two need be exactly alike!). But more than that, to also be able to connect via this medium with those who do "get it" and know what it means to have "moments of epiphany" while listening. And there will always be light year differences between listening and hearing, which is what most people do with music. Our brains are wired differently than others and music is essential to our health and well being. It's only natural that we seek the best means of experiencing that which provides our best "view" to the source.
'They' will never, ever get it, but really, it is all about the music. Most people who get interested in audio quickly find out it is a solitary pursuit, partner included. and it should be kept that way. I never talk about or show off my gear. It pleases me. The only comment I get connect to the gear is the vast collection of music I have acquired over the last fifty years. I never play any music for those who ask. I do offer to lend them music that they might be interested in. Often that is very much appreciated as it brings out something they fondly remember but no longer have.

As for B&O, I think they do a great service. In my town, population 22,000, we have a B&O store front and two other brick and mortar audio shops. One is hi end and has been in town for over thirty years, the other came into town about two years ago with a business model that bypasses actual equipment demo's, just information. The hi end shop has never been interested in seriously cultivating my business, and that I can understand. We are not a good fit, they are not interested in what I have, only what they can sell to me. I have over the past fifty years spent about $200K on gear, maybe $500K on media. From time to time I drop into the B&O store to listen to their latest stuff, they are always very friendly and have a high customer oriented IQ, which explains why they do so well. B&O is always a very pleasant experience for the many friends I have sent there. Most buy B&O. The few I have sent to the hi end store front always seem to come away buying nothing and remarking how 'cultish' the owners are.
:-) LOL. Am I the only one who thinks you set yourself up?

I never talk about my system with the un-enlightened, and they have to really beg if they ever do mention listening to it. I'm not an evangelist and have no interest in converting anyone. People either get it or they don't. I certainly could care less about their fly fishing rod collection, or their 'vette that comes out of the garage once a year, or the Harley they ride for 5 months of the year, etc.
Since I moved, I no longer have audiophile friends. While listening to music with "golden eared" friends is quite enjoyable, there is a downside. When this hobby becomes an "obsession", it's no longer fun. If you begin to listen to interconnects as opposed to music, you are not having fun. With "audiophile" friends, this will happen. There is no such thing as a "magnificent obsession".

I believe everyone that posted, is best off like they are.
How to be a good host: Find out what your guests like and give it to them.

How to be a good guest: Find out what your hosts like and give it to them.

If one of the above happens, it will be a nice evening.
If both happen, it will be a great evening.