Dumbest reason you were drawn....

What is the dumbest reason you were drawn to consider a piece of equipment? After all, before you've gotten to hear any of this stuff you've got to decide WHAT you're going to audition and/or buy. So come on, swallow your pride and spill!

I'll go first: It was that damn blue light in my 5.1 and 7.1 Citation amps. I was about 25 when I first saw their equipment and I thought it looked wayyyy cool! I decided that I just had to have that slick looking piece of equipment. So I gave them a listen looked into the build quality, etc. and liked what I heard. When Citation went belly up and I had more money a few years later I jumped. However, if it wasn't for that stupid blue light I don't think I'd have given the Citations nearly as much attention..... I feel like I've got the brain of a moth.
aewhistory
Heath Kit Graphic Output Indicator AD-1701. Just had to have one of these.
Found one, used it for about 20 seconds, put it away.
I also have a weakness for big power meters and huge metal knobs, but therapy has helped me kick that habit.
The Yamaha stack in early 90's and 15 inch woofers with red surrounds on Cerwin Vegas with adjustable tweeter controls. The more taller the stack, multiple features, complete with EQ, the better. I had the Yamaha DSP1 and cd player and then multi disc player, the laser disc player, the tape deck, the tuner, the preamp. When I stacked them it would be like 6 ft high ( well almost). Very impressive ;-) and good sound to boot for my then standards.
just like that 6550 guy I tried some tubed components because so many of you are always saying how you love the tube sound. OMG what a mistake; even the "good stuff" sounds terrible on my very revealing horns. Never again.