Local dealer cuts store in half says audio is dead

My local dealer that has been in business since 1979 has given half his store up for a marial arts studio. He told me that 2 channel audio is dead and people just come in to audition gear and buy off the Internet. He says custom installation is the only thing keeping the doors open and that has slowed down alot lately. Through the years I always tried to give this dealer business but things never worked out. The owner was very arrogant and everything had to go his way. I tried to buy my first system there 15 years ago and he would not budge on price. So I took my business somewhere else and they were happy to have my money. A couple of years ago I was looking at some new speakers so I went up the street knowing that they carried the brand. I asked the owner if I could audition them at my house for a day. He said absolutely not. He told me to bring all my equipment to the store and listen there. It's alot easier for me to take the speakers home than to take my TT, 100lb amp and tube pre-amp to the store. BTW-He had a demo pair on the floor so he could of given those to me for the night. I even told him I would give him my CC# to keep on file. Still he said no.

Well it doesn't surprise me that this dealer is giving up on audio. He never tried to offer the service that is necessary to be a 2 channel dealer. I told him that there are still a few 2 channel stores that are still surviving in these economic times. He told me he didn't believe that and that I knew nothing about the business. With that I left never to return. I hope next time I drive by he will be out of business period. He doesn't deserve to survive with his bad attitude.
taters
Some of the issues are that most working class people do view high end audio as fairly expensive. Most people do make sacrifices to build their system. If you have been doing your homework you know that there is a rapid law of diminishing returns once you reach a certain price point. Beyond that you begin to build an audio jewelry museum. Dealers should be able to negotiate more with the manufacturers and then with the customers to make a sale, especially in this economy. I have a good dealer and he has been very kind. All of the opportunities I have I do purchase from them however there are some pieces I would not get. I have purchased two CD players from him in the past at retail, both were close to 2K each. One went bad after a couple of years and was not repairable because the manufacturer went bust(CAL audio) and the other one the transport died and am still trying to get it fixed. I have had a sony, cheap CD player that has not died on me for over 10 years. So essentially I am out 4K, so sorry!
Another case in point are speakers. They only carry a couple of lines and the next step up for me would be around list price 10K. At that price either they would have to lower the price to match a recently used speaker or I would go find something else. I am not married to one brand and would not necessarily go out and purchase a used speaker that I auditioned at his store, however if the opportunity did arise I would try to negotiate a better price with them and if they do not want to deal I would purchase them elsewhere. The price of audio equipment really should not be continuing to escalate at the current rate.
A new paradigm needs to developed or their market will become more and more of a niche. Just look at the exotic car market's
Usually, I would be with the customer, but I don't know any dealer that will let you in-home audition speakers. It's a logistical nightmare.
Yeah, everything is about dead in todays economy, but it sounds like you were looking to be treated like a lady. Get a spine.
This is not a new development.

Tvad hits the nail on the head regarding geeked out enthusiasts who somehow think their audio experience qualifies them to condescend to their customers while still somehow succeeding in business.

Horrible "businesspeople" (using the word loosely) have wreaked far more havoc on the 2 channel industry than home theatre and/or global economic depressions combined.
I expect that if we are speaking of a 'decline' in the bricks & mortar audio industry (and while I see anecdotal evidence of such, I have never seen industry-wide annual sales numbers shown), it has far more to do with the change in what the customer wants and the way the customer wants to do business than any shift towards worse service on the part of the dealer.

Now, customers can do a great deal of research before they set foot in the store. It used to be that the only way to get the compare the specs, sound qualities, and hear anecdotal evidence was to go talk to the dealer (or other members of your audio club). The internet has made everyone so inclined into 'experts' and has reduced the amount of naked trust extended by potential customers to the dealer. The dealer himself has not lost the expertise he used to have, but for many customers, the ritual of going to the store, asking what's new, learning about the new piece, whether people who have listened have upgraded, about what else might be coming up, and walking out with a brochure and a good feeling because one had learned something new - that ritual is meaningless now. Some dealers may be bitter about this and they hold on to the old model and we think they are stuffy or arrogant. Other dealers have adapted to the change in customer - some by offering stuff so esoteric that it is only available through dealers for the first several years. I can think of at least one dealer who has frequented the Audiogon forums over the years (now less than before) who has made his living this way. If you want the latest and the greatest, you can go to him, or 2-3 others, but they effectively control the market so it will only matter who has the customer first. Some dealers have been successful by offering the service Rsorren1 speaks about above to the clients who still prize that (albeit, it helps to be in a location which supports that model). And others have built a customer service around the home theater installation business.

Personally, I find it interesting that noone puts the blame on the advent of the walkman. When I was a kid, before walkmans, every kid wanted their own stereo. After the advent of walkmans, every kid wanted a walkman and huge numbers of my friends who had showed interest in stereos when they were 12 couldn't be bothered when they were 16. They could play a walkman as loud as they wanted and their mother wouldn't yell at them, it was easy to use (no tweaking), it was cool (new models showed up all the time), and lots of people who were getting their first stereo were interested in music playback more than they were interested in really great sound so something simple like a walkman clicked all the buttons. The way I saw it, the walkman changed the way the masses thought about music. The young people who were willing to stick a walkman on their head for hours a day got their music loud and intimate, and the ritual of playing music in the basement or in one's room (after cleaning a path across the floor) was changed. When discs came out, we got the diskman, but lots of people I know just switched from recording LPs to cassettes on their parents' stereos to recording their friends' CDs onto cassettes. How many kids do you know who have component stereo systems vs how many have iPods or similar MP3 players? How many of those kids even aspire to having a stereo set-up?