I need help putting together a budget system

Our house burnt down earlier this year and I have decided that when we move back in, I would like to have a good system to listen to CD's possibly an online library of ripped music (is Apple Lossless good enough?)

I could use some help in putting together a budget system including speakers for under $5k. I would love for that to include a turn table but I dont want to push my luck. In the past I have had a Classe amp, Theta DAC and some other good gear but they were hand me downs so I dont really know what I am doing.

Opinions please

Mike
kaseapfe
I get the joy of the active speakers approach but unless I am missing my engineering, multiple sources (say DAC and phono preamp) are going to be pretty unwieldy.

A lot of nice integrateds out there with very respectable MM/MC sections which would give you the option of adding your TT when you were ready.

Also there are a whole lot more choices in passive speakers then active.

BTW since you mentioned you enjoyed designery looking gear, you might look for a used pair of the Gallo 3.1's. Cool looking, easy to drive and they should give you plenty of the detail and intimacy you crave.
I don't understand why active speakers are a problem with mulitple sources? You are just forgoing the amps, the signal still comes from a preamp that switches the sources, and manages volume.

I love the Gallos, I have had them before, it seems to me they would be a bit much for that space.
Hi MacDad - that's exactly what I was missing - we have a newb here asking for specifics... the pre is a critical piece and will need a significant piece of the proposed budget.
alright I guess I really dont know what I am doing. I dont even know what an active speaker is. I will do some research.

Mike
OK that was easy, I guess Active speakers are fine if I have a pre-amp and or a DAC with multiple inputs. With Active speakers can you control volume with a remote? Sorry I didn't mean to turn this into a training session.