I need help putting together a budget system

Our house burnt down earlier this year and I have decided that when we move back in, I would like to have a good system to listen to CD's possibly an online library of ripped music (is Apple Lossless good enough?)

I could use some help in putting together a budget system including speakers for under $5k. I would love for that to include a turn table but I dont want to push my luck. In the past I have had a Classe amp, Theta DAC and some other good gear but they were hand me downs so I dont really know what I am doing.

Opinions please

Mike
kaseapfe

As a start please share with us your room size, musical preferences and whether you see yourself as a solid state or tube kind of guy. Is your space dedicated or shared (i.e., with the family or are you single)? These all matter and will help you avoid getting a lot of shot gunned responses.
Apogee minidac with firewire card (around 1000 usd) and a pair of active speakers. If you like a bit romantic sound you may add a tube pre with mellow sound. Such a pedestrian set up could produce shockingly good sound, and possibly the best possible set up if your budget is limited. Unfortunately, these gears are fairly ugly.
Love the Apogee DAC with active speaker idea of Ajahu, nice approach. I would suggest:

Magnepan 1.6qr's $1000 (used)
Innersound ESL amp $1300 (used)
AES Tube Pre $700 (used)
AppleTV $269
TADAC tube DAC $700
AES phono stage $300
Project Debut III $400 (with cartridge used)
Kimber 8tc speark wires
Kimber Hero Interconnects $331

$5000

That's a great system by any standard. I would love hear that.