ZYX RS20 vs Denon DL103

Hi,

I have currently using the DL103, would like to try out something, ZYX RS20 come to mind, I listen mostly Jazz & old pops LPs, would the ZYX better than teh DL103?

Any other suggestion? My budget is around US300-400.

thanks
koalaray

Showing 12 responses by koalaray

Hi Flyingred,

Thanks for yr response. I like the DL103 so far but it kind of lacking "body" and it does pick up some surface noise. I am using AusioResearch SP15 so for the phono part is good as I can switch between 10Ohmns to 47K.

I also read some posts about ZYX that is good for Classical but not Jazz....I'm not sure how true this statement is.

My arm is Grace F545 which is a vintage arm, headshelf also from Grace.

thanks
Yes agree especially not all my LPs are Jazz, some are Pop/electornic as well. I did try to alter the load to 10K but never went down to 1K or even 500. I currently have the tracking force set to max. 2.5g. I tried it at about 2g, didn't like it so I set it back to 2.5g but then never tried 2.3g, maybe I should try it first.

I would rather find a cartridge that is musical than analytical.

Apart from ZYX, you think Grado "reference" Sontana is a good choice? it's in the same price range.
Yes agree especially not all my LPs are Jazz, some are Pop/electornic as well. I did try to alter the load to 10K but never went down to 1K or even 500. I currently have the tracking force set to max. 2.5g. I tried it at about 2g, didn't like it so I set it back to 2.5g but then never tried 2.3g, maybe I should try it first.

I would rather find a cartridge that is musical than analytical.

Apart from ZYX, you think Grado "reference" Sontana is a good choice? it's in the same price range.
Hi all,

I did try to alter the Laoding from 47K all the way down to 10Ohms, I can hear little diff between 47K, 800Ohms and 100Ohms apart from a lower volume (the Gain is set at the same level). Anything lower than it is no good. The testing was done with the tracking force set at 2.3g as suggested by Amandarae. I found the sound is a bit thinner than setting it back to max. 2.5g. At 2.5g the sound is slightly thicker and shall I say more "body" per sa.

Flyingred just got me there, the belt! I actually noticed when I turn on the Pioneer TT, it's sort of slow to get up to speed, so maybe the belt has something to do with it. After all, the TT is made in the 70s.

I checked the Grace arm last night and is as parallel as the mat/platter, the only thing I'm uncertain is the anti-shaking, when I first bought the TT, it was set at 1 and I never changed as I couldn't find any info on the Grace F545 arm so not sure the factory recommended setting for that.

here is some pics taken last year, note that back end I still had the Monstercable Alpha 1 MC mounted onto the Pioneer. http://robogallery.blogspot.com

BTW, the TT is Pioneer PL-6 made in the 70s I think. The support I think is good enough for now as I have some anti-vibration thing out under the TT, I even tried to use my finger to knock the TT and I can hear no "hum" and the Denon never "skipped" the track while playing, so I guess the support is good enough for now?

One more thing to add, the TT is made in Japan so it takes 110V instead of 220V so I am using a power converter, not that that has another to do with it since TT doesn't really too cumsy about power....right?

Time to get a new belt and try out. Thanks all for yr help. Will keep you updated.

Cheers.
That's really the reason why I bought the Denon, it's good so far and I'm happy with it, just that the little bit of body lacking so trying to improve it (get the best out of Denon). Strange enough that the Grace 545 arm seems doesn't have the anti-skate (optional arm lifter as I was told), I'm not sure the "L" shape weight next to the end of the arm is indeed the anti-skate aas there is no idication whatsoever, My guess is it could be as it has "0" to "3" marking, that's all. Referring to the Grace manual (found at vinlyengine.com) but no mentioning on the anti-skate.

About lowering the pivot, will try that. By the way, what should be the "best" height for the tone arm? I know it should be in parallel but is there good technique to set the arm height? The overhang and other angle is set pretty much as spec'd, the only thing is the anti-skate and the arm height to make it "perfect".

ps: I did try loading 100Ohm last night and........maybe I still need more serious listening to compare with 800 & 47Kohms. Have to find a "test" LP though.

Thanks everyone who helped me so far.
All,

I had reset the VTF to 2.4g (I think anyway with my eyesight) and lowered the arm a little bit, I think is around 2mm and the sub counter weight to be less than 0.5 (for those who seen my pic) in my previous post. I tried with Sanata LP & some Jazz LP.....it sounds wonderful.

By the way, I also changed the belf as well and the platter is not moving as it should be, thanks Flyingred.

Yosh, yes I confirmed with the shop that my G545 is the basic model thus no anti-skate "is required/available".

Right now I think the TT sounds slightly better than b4, wider soundstage and more focus, thanks for everyone who helped me on this.

ps: the sound was so good that my cat jumped onto the TT last night while playing.............@_@
Hi Guys,

Yes it's me again, Koala! I think I just about to get the R20 but r u guys using the Low (.24) or High (.48) output version? I guess their "High" output really doesn't make too much diff compare to other low MC output.

Back to my initial question that I had the Denon DL103 and audio-Technica At33ML and Benz Micro MC-Silver.

To be the Benz Micro MC-Silver sounded worse (maybe not yet broken in) but sound very harsh and hi-fi.

DL103 - oh well you heard enough of this one but compare to AT33ML which I quite like it, AT33ML has a wider soundstage but somewhat thinner in the mid which DL103 is famous for.

I am still thinking whether I should go for RS20 or 30, the price diff is around US100. I can get a very good deal here in HK believe it or not, RS20 just around US390. But one strange thing is the RS20 case seems to be smaller than RS10 & 30 so not sure the one I saw is in fact an older model, I really don't no. I can get the RS30 for around US500.

You are welcome to email me directly on Zyx or Denon. [email protected]

thanks.
I couldn't wait so I just got it, it's the original (first) version of RS20, yes there is no RS20-02 at the end, maybe that's why is cheaper but still the price here is just cheaper for every model. But I'm not sure the current RS20-02 spec still warrant though.
Got it. http://www.hifi.com.sg/products/cartridge/zyx/rs.htm

The spec is exactly the same as the "02" version except the weight with the old model is 4.2g instead of 5gm. Humm a bit lightweight. Anyway will let u know how it sounds very soon.
Hi Raytheprinter,

Mine is the High output, I was going to get the low output version (0.24mV) but they ran out of stock so I took the High output (0.48mV) which is really kind of Low output for other brand. I have an audio-tachnica AT33ML which is a low output (0.5mV) too.

I put the cartridge onto a Yamamoto HS-1A headshell made of African Black Ebony, that thing look amazingly stylist!. But I had hard time setting it up since the RS20 weight just 4.2g (old version, not RS20-02), had to put a longer screw and a bit blu-tap to make it 18g otherwsie I have problem balancing my arm. By the time I done all that, feed the cats & birds it was like 10pm already and I took 2 LP to try it out, Art Pepper - Going Home and George Winston
- Country.

I was impressed! The cartridge is dead silent compare to Benz Micro MC-Silver which I don't really like, it's a bit hi-fi and liveness, mabye that's the lowest model. The RS20 soundstage already comparable to my fully rrun-in AT33ML and the mid is slighly less than DL103 but DL103 is really made for the mids so to speak. I fully agree with other posters up there saying the RS20 is already very good in low volume, it was indeed when I listen to George WInston's Country, I can heard Mark Marshall's guitar in the background which I didn't relaised it was there as he played in low volume mixed with the drum. I was really amazed. I'm sure the RS20 will improve pretty much after 50-100hrs, I'm happy.

I was actually thinking of getting Benz Micro Gliber but due to budget constraint, I opted for ZYX instead as I used the Monstercable Aplha2 before but I broken the diamond and is quite $$$ to get it retip. I'm not sure how good Gliber is but there are some rave reviews on the Gliber, it may be in a diff league compare to RS20, I don't know.

here is my current stock:
- MonsterCable Aplha 2 (broken diamond)
- benz micro MC-Silver (High output)
- Denon Dl103 (original version)
- ZYX RS20 High output

TT - Pioneer PL-60 w/i Grace 545 arm.
Pre-am - AudioResearch SP15
Power amp - McInotsh 275 CE
I also experience some lead in skipping when I lowered the cartridge, maybe I set the VTF too low (currently already 1.9g, maybe I try 2 tonight and see if that work, No such probem with other cartridges though.