your experience with mod or upgrade companies.....

i called c/j and talked with jeff, found out that cj now does upgrades for some of their equipment. my pv12 would be about 900.00 four just 5 caps. that seems a little high for just that amount of work. what other compy that you know of is doing this, i know a while back i heard about different ones, but you dont hear to much now. there was a group of indian guys i talked with a while back that seem to do a lot more for at lot less, but i forgot the name of them.. please give me your input, as always is appreciated.......
kennesawjet

Showing 3 responses by bam214

Trying to find members who have recent experiences with the Upgrade Company. Looking at a modded Oppo 105 from them but I noticed on their website that they don't disclose the mod work do to patents or proprietary secrets. I did see some pictures of the inside of a player on the AVS forum but thought there was no way that unit came from a reputable company.

There was some type of blue paint all over a circuit board and wires wrapped in what looked like aluminum foil tape.

Does anyone know if the Upgrade Company uses this blue paint and aluminum tape inside the unit?
WOW!!! I was sent some pictures of an Upgraded Company player and the Oppo had blue paint all over the place and the aluminum foil tape that wraps around the wires were covered in a black cloth tape. The guy said the blue paint was AVM fluid. Whatever that means. The aluminum foil tape looks like tape my heating guy uses and the cloth tape looks like tape that you use to fix a hole in your old VW seat. Maybe all this stuff helps with vibration? Not sure about the EMI/RFI riddance technology verbage on the Upgrade Company website. Does the tape and blue fluid get rid of distortion or something? Not my cup of tea that's for sure.
Thankful, I didn't see anything so secretive about the upgrade company mod. AVM fluid on every part, wires wrapped in aluminum foil tape with cloth tape covering the aluminum. Furutech outlet with bybees on the incoming power leads. Can't tell if parts were replaced or not because the AVM (anti vibration magic) fluid covered them all. Maybe some wiring replaced and also painted with this AVM and covered in aluminum and cloth.

The RFI/EMI riddance technology might be some Aluminum tape and ferrites along with this AVM fluid which is not a secret. I saw an Oppo 95 for sale here and asked the seller to post pics of the inside of the player. The caps were not covered with the AVM fluid like the other player. Makes you wonder if everyone gets the same mod or not even though the paperwork says signature upgrade.

Thank you for pointing me to these other modders. They seem to have more of an electronics background.

I may experiment with this AVM, foil tape, furutech and bybee with an older unit I'm not using however.