Your Best System?

I'm curious how many people own their best system currently. Is your main system right now the very best you have ever owned. If not, why did you change? Do you plan on going back to that system in the future? Mine has always gotten better and the one I own now is the best I've ever had.
s7horton

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

S7horton:

My best system will definitely have be my current one. The reason I am saying this is because that over the last five years, I have taken great care and pride over being careful and selective when it came to the selection of my components. That is I made absolutely sure that the "next" component in the chain brings out the absolute best in the component that both preceeds it, and succeeds it in the system chain, with myself aiming for a synergistic match when it is all said and done. It has taken me five years to get to the point that I have gotten to already, and I anticipate that my system will be finally complete around early 2004 (with the addition of a high-end turntable/arm/cartridge system to displace my current Thorens TD-147/Grado Gold setup), whereas from that point on, all I plan to do is spend a lot of money buying music instead of buying equipment. Because the way I see it is this, if your system is really, really good to begin with when it is finally completed, then there won't be any need to perform any upgrades anytime soon afterwards. Just sit back and enjoy the music (which is when it is all said and done, that's what it is all about anyway).

But if there is a weak point in my system right now, it may possibly be that my front-end sources could all in probabililty outclass my speaker system and my amplification. If that turns out to be the case after a while, then more than likely, I am going to upgrade the speakers to something like the Totem Mani 2 (in either mahogany or cherry), and then probably drive them with used Krell or Levinson electronics (in the 100 Watt Per Channel to 200 Watt Per Channel range), and eliminate the subwoofer entirely if there is one in my system during the time I intend to upgrade.

But as it stand now, my current system is as follows:

Speaker System: KEF Reference 102 with KUBE Equalizer.
Power Amplifier: Adcom GFA-545 MkII.
Preamplifier: Adcom GFP-750.
Turntable/Cartridge System: Thorens TD-147/Grado Prestige Gold (not yet hooked up).
Phono Stage: Monolithic PS-1 + HC-1 (coming in September).
Compact Disc Player #1: Pioneer Elite DV-37 Progressive Scan DVD/CD Player (to be replaced by a Sony DVP-S9000ES Progressive Scan DVD/CD/SACD Player at the end of August).

Compact Disc Player #2: JVC XL-M509TN 6+1 CD Player/Changer.
FM Tuner: Magnum Dynalab FT-101.
AM/FM Antenna: Terk AM FM Q.
Cassette Deck: Nakamichi BX-300.
Power Conditioner: Monster Cable HTS2500 Power Center/Conditioner.
Interconnects: MITerminator 2 and MITerminator 3.
Speaker Cables: MITerminator 2 (Single Wired).
Speaker Stands: Sanus Foundations SF24 (Sand Filled).
Headphones: Sennheiser HD-580.
Headphone Ampifier: Yet to be decided. But it is going to be either a Creek OHH-II SE/OBH-2 or a HeadRoom Supreme/Base Station One (coming in early-to-mid 2003).

Well, regards for now.

--Charles--