XA7ES, Miles, Cary 301, ARC CD-1?? Direct to amp..

Hi all!

I know that this topic has been BEATEN to death and I HAVE looked through the archives, but still have questions.

I need a CDP that'll connect directly to my amp. I've seen many recommendations for the Theta Miles...is it really that good?

The Sony XA-7ES seems like a hell of a piece for the money. It also seems that there are many people using it w/o a pre with good results.

Finally, I'm intrigued by the Audio Research CD-1. Anyone have any experience with using the remote volume capability?

I'm sure that each of these players is good in its' own right, but what I'd like to know is which one (or maybe another?) would do the best job of driving an amp directly?

BTW - I'm trying not to spend much more than about $1K used. $1,300 would be the absolute MAX.

Thanks everybody!
danheather

Showing 1 response by bmotorcycle

I have not used any of the players you listed, but I am using a Wadia directly to my power amp. I was very skeptical when a friend suggested I at least try taking my ARC pre-amp out of the loop. I argued back that the sound stage would collaps, imaging would go away and it would sound to analytical. After some proding we tried it, none of the above happened and the overall presentation dramticaly improved. I have since sold the pre-amp and have been using it this way for well over a year. I guess the point of all this is, I think you are on the right track, and you might want to consider one of the Wadia players. Good luck in your search.......Bob