Words From the Wise

Hello fellow Audiophiles and Audio Enthousiast. I've been in the game for a little over 4 months now and I've learned tonnes of stuff along the way thanks to some very knowledgeable people on this website and in my local community (but mostly on this website).

I'll get right to the point.

Whether you are new to the game or a veteran I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the top 5 things you would tell a fellow Audiophile to better his/her enjoyment of this wonderful hobby. Please use point form or short paragraphs
buckingham
1) Similar to Thermonicavenger thoughts, if your music doesn't sound quite right and you're a graying boomer, get your hearing checked. You may find out that your hi freqs are not what they were when you were 20 years old. 2) Ask your wife to sit in the manchair and listen to your system. When you ask her what you hear and she says music, you may have tinitus. But she'll have saved you a boat load of $$ trying to clean up the noise. 3) Losing part of my freqs and tinitus has made me appreciate music in a different way. If you can lose yourself in beautiful music to such a point that the ringing seems to vanish, you put together a good system for you. 4) Enrich your Family in music, and be interested in what your kids listen to. It may sound like noise but they'll appreciate your interst. 5) Dean Martin.
1)Put together a system that ultimately you cannot wait to sit down and listen to. If it gives you pleasure it does not matter what anyone else says
2)Buy the best sounding speakers you can find
3)Then buy Power amp, then Preamp, then source
4)There is unending advice on cables but lower price cables will work just fine. Use the power cords that come with your equipment
5)Enjoy the music
It's great that someone revived this older thread, which I hadn't seen. Here are my two cents:

1. If you can, dedicate a space for your gear and make that room audiocentric; and even if you can't set up a listen room, spend time positioning your speakers and dialing in their location in your room.

2. Know what’s possible, visit as many showrooms as you can tolerate and try to connect with local people who are in to audio.

3. Learn how to listen critically; build your own personal list of reference recordings and sit with someone who can help you learn to hear subtle differences bn gear (think of it like a wine tasting: when you initially start you may be able to detect subtle differences bn products but may not have the language to describe those differences very well).

4. You’ll generally get much more satisfaction out of new music than new gear.

5. Be patient in assessing audio gear; you’ll hear new things with different music.

enjoy.
e
Read Blindjim 11-24-09.

In the words of Adrian Belew... "this is a daaangerous place..."