Will Audio Research D115 drive Hales?

I have Hales Rev 2's 86 db efficient into 6 ohms- Will AR d115 rated at 100 watts be enough? How about Cary Sli 80 integrated?
jpschrup8f4f

Showing 1 response by soundbug1

I've always found that tube amps sound amazingly louder than their SS counterparts. Probably due to the way a tube works. I'v owned a d115 and a pair of Magnaplanar IIIa speakers and can tell you that the D115 had more than enough power and reserve to push the Maggies. Of course the room was hardwood floored and shoebox shaped which may make a difference. Keep in mind the Maggies are less efficient than the Hales. I think the Audio Research is a great match for less efficient speakers. These amps were built to perform and last. They are not fragile. If you go with a more powerful amplifier this will most certainly result in an increase in distortion. Its always a trade-off. I would rather have a little less volume and clarity of sound than more volume with high distortion. Of course I'm judging the experience of listening pleasure on a sonic level, with my ears. Those who find the low frequency rumble to be thrilling my differ in opinion. I find excessivly loud level listening unenjoyable and unnesessary and so would find that the meage(ha) 100 watts that the D115 offers to be MORE than enought to drive those speakers. Hope you find something you like.